the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

nice sq amp for around 300?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
I tried doing a search but didn't turn up anything useful. Im just trying to gather some opinions on what amps you guys would recommend. Im looking for a 2 channel amp to have the best sound quality possible for about $300-$500 that will give me around 100W/channel at 4ohms.
thanks for the help
Dan
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
I would probably go with the alpine PDX-2.150, you should be able to pick it up for around 300. It puts out 150 RMS at 4 ohms.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2009 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
how did i know the first response was going to be alpine PDX? thats ok though, i did look at that amp but im not sure about class D amps for full range speakers. it is an option but id like some other suggestions too. are these PDX amps really that good for sound quality? the reason im hesitant about class D amps might be the way that class d amps were explained to me. i was told by a kicker rep that i know that basically a class d amp takes the nice sine wave audio signal and makes a digital copy of it but instead of having a nice curve it makes it more like a triangular wave with sharp peaks instead of a curve. he said this is the reason why class d amps are more efficient because they are not playing the actual audio signal, just a digitized copy. is this true or was he full of it?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
Have ya SEEN my system? The entire thing is PDX, and yes, I can tell you right now that they are FANTASTIC sound quality amplifiers. Yeah, your "Kicker Guy" informant was BURIED in "it" to his eyeballs, as opposed to "full" of it. Well, what can you expect of a Kicker rep, anyway? He thinks Kicker is good gear!
For a PROPER explanation of Class D, see here, here, or here...
I do believe that in this thread, chronicling the entire build of my car, I also reviewed them connected to my home system, as well.
1200 watts of PDX to just run the doors... Yeah, they're true SQ amplifiers, this I promise you. (They're B&O ICEPower amps, if you were unaware of that.)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
yeah i've seen your system diagram before and i figured you would be next to chime in about the PDX series. i wish i could listen to your system because i dont know of any place around here that sells alpine. i might try best buy but i highly doubt they have one on display. i had a feeling that kicker rep didn't know what he was talking about after he tried to tell me that a solo X was good for sound quality too nice sq amp for around 300? -- posted image. his reasoning was that above 130DB the human ear cant tell the difference anyway. i guess im going to have to dig a little deeper into these PDX amps, still open for any other suggestions though
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
i apperciate all the info so far, but really? no one else has any suggestions or is this amp as good as it gets? a whole forum of sound quality enthusiasts and all i can get is alpine?
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
For the price range you mentioned, I believe you got your answer ;) If you're fishing for a different answer, please tell us what that is.
nice sq amp for around 300? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
not fishing for any particular answer. if i knew the answer to my question i would not be asking. im not trying to bait someone into telling me what i want to hear i'm just respectfully stirring the pot to get some competing opinions to rise to the surface. i know there is more than one guy on here who likes sound quality and there is no way they all use alpine pdx amps
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

Many members have already asked this same question and it may be why you aren't getting as many replies as you'd like, but if you browse through this forum, I'm sure you'll find many other recommendations. 

What amplifiers have you auditioned first hand? What amplifiers can you audition first hand? Ultimately the decision is yours and should be based solely on your opinion.
nice sq amp for around 300? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
well, it's just really hard to find any good shops with good product and people who know what they are talking about around here in lower louisiana. i'm not exaggerating when i say 99% of everybody has no idea what true sound quality is. you try to teach somebody about what a sound stage is and you just get blank stares. there are more low class pawn shops here than legit audio shops, and about 80% of those shops sell nothing better than kicker. there are 2 shops that sell JL audio and they are both ridiculously priced. i cant even find that Alpine PDX 2.150 locally so i cant even demo that. my options for a place to buy an amp is pretty much limited to the internet so all i can do is gather some testimonials from people who know and have no reason to lie to me just to get my money. this is why i ask you guys (gals?) that share my passion for clean tunes because i know you will point me in the right direction. and even with suggestions, i will still do my research, i'm not asking for you to tell me what to buy, just asking for people to share their experience. but i guess it looks like i will have to take my chances with the PDX
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic