icon

07 silverado bose amp bypass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jcappsiv 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
hi installing a 4 channel amp and new speakers in a 07 silverado with bose speakers and amp using stock radio. i'm using two line in coverters to go to amp i have everything tied in right according to a few wiring diagrams but now the radio wont turn on it has the lights on it on but the led display on the radio wont turn on......is there a sercurity system built in to the radio that makes it not turn on or anyhting else
thanks
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
did you unplug the radio at any time? its probably security locked because it thinks it was "stolen"
lowroller94 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
I just did the bose bypass on one the other day with no problems... Where did you bypass it at? You shouldn't have to pull the radio out... The amp and harness to tap into should be located under the center console... The wires to use should be the typical chevy colors... Blue/light blue, BROWN / yellow, tan/gray, dark GREEN/ lt green... Also FYI, bose has a horrible low-end frequency response if you are going to add a sub amp/subs...
do it myself inc.
jcappsiv 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i took the radio out....just to figue out where the amp was....but yeah some reason the radios wont turn on
sound 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  

Where exactly did you put in the converters?  Before the amp or after the amp?  and what kind of converters?

jcappsiv 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
Well I disconnected the Bose amp and connected the line converts(speaker out to RCA ) at the input before the Bose amp on the harness
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
you should have put the converters on the output side of the factory amp.
sound 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

I was told by two different sources(Crutchfield being one) that if I connected my hi level to low level converters to the head units output  something would likely burn out due to the LAN. They made it sound like the amp would likely fry. I hope this isn't an expensive repair for you.

soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
the purpose of a line output converter is to take a normal voltage, high current speaker output and change it to a low power, low voltage signal that can be used by your aftermarket amps RCA input. if you hook the converter to the low voltage input of the factory amp or low voltage output of a factory radio in a factory amplified system it defeats the purpose. they are meant to be hooked to the same wires that go directly to the speakers, either near the speaker or near the output of the factory amp or non-amplified factory radio. hope this cleared things up.
now as for your radio not turning on, have you unhooked the converters from whatever wires you had them hooked to? if you did and the radio still wont turn on chances are you may have tapped into a wrong wire at the amp thinking it was a signal wire. there is no telling what really happened. if you unplugged the radio when you took it out it might just be security locked but you will know this because it will display something like LOC on the radio display.
sssmokin99 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Just taking the radio out and putting it back in should not lock it - the vin is what it looks for to trip the security lock.  I have removed mine ( 2005 GMC Sierra) and put it back in without any issues whatsoever.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic