the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

six 12in subwoofer box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wadewills 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
i am wanting to build a box for 6 twelve inch subwoofers.  They are Mtx audio tr75 series dual 4ohm voice coils.  My main concern is whether ported or sealed is the better option.  People have told me that a ported enclosure might cause a flutter effect.  I am unsure if that is true.  I prefer ported because of the increased output.  Overall loudness is what im looking for not a sound quality system.  any suggestions are apprectiated.
Enjoy Life theres plenty of time to be dead
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
one note wonder or music?
six 12in subwoofer box -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2009 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
A flutter effect?  I could guess you mean unloading the woofers below Fb... but maybe not.  What is a flutter effect?
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  

For best sound with that woofer you'll use sealed.  The EBP is 43, well into sealed category.  However, since SPL and not sound quality is the priority here, you should use vented for the extra output...just like the manual says.  This is a very big job and should be handled professionally.  If you want to do it yourself, arm yourself with knowledge.

And yeah, what's flutter effect?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
wadewills 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
The guy who said flutter meant that the backpressure would be too low and cause the subs to still move when the bass left. I will be playing music through them but i dont really use subs for sq just to show off.  Sealed would be easier but does any one have an idea on how much of a difference going ported would make? Thanks for the responces
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
With doing a one note wonder box your output would be greatly increased. But then it is no good to play music. Just one specific tone for a burp. Ported will still yet yield a bit more ouput then sealed if you can achieve the correct airspace and ports to make it work correctly. If possible you would want to run at least no more than 2 subs per chamber and ported with a port per chamber. Sealed would be the easiest. Still i would try to not run more than a pair of subs in one chamber(this will come down to the room you have availible though). Seperate chambers for each sub would be best. Sealed with that much cone area is going to get loud. Ported if done right as i have said no more than 2 per chamber would be louder yet and still good to listen to as well. Your biggest problem is going to be in layout and design to make it work well with the space you have available. What kind of vehical is this going in? What kind of power are you planning on putting to them?
wadewills 
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2004 chevy tahoe and i will be running 3 hifonics txi 1508D amps at one ohm each.  I figure those should do the trick with one amp per pair of subs.  Im not looking for a one note wonder and two subs per a chamber will simplify the build instead of all six in one chamber. Thanks for the imput
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
should not be too bad a build. Still a lot of work though. Make sure to give us some pics along the way.
airhed692005 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
so are you going seal or ported?
I would port but that is me
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS. CUSTOM BOX DESIGNER AND BUILDER
TID-896 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
4/0power/ground cables
4-12 mofos 12ft3 box tuned 40hz DB:163.1
wadewills 
Posted: February 11, 2009 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
Im gonna port it For sure.  I just wanted to check that it would produce better output.  I appreciate all the input and will post picks when i start on it.  Probably be a few weeks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic