icon

1998 audi a6 quattro amp battery issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tophubufu 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 3:15 AM / IP Logged  
Recently I have connected an 2080 watt amp with 2-12" subs wired to the amp.  Normally i push about 1500 watts through the amp.  However, my question is that should this much power kill my battery?  My car battery died, and before i reconnect the amp i want to be sure that my amp isn't what killed my battery.  With Audi if the battery dies and you don't change the battery before the computers reset, you have to bring the car to the dealer to have the ignition timing reset. I found that out the hard way while installing the amp to begin will, then the battery doodie out on me while i was up at college.  My amp only runs when the car is on, and i do have a small LED display (part of my wiring kit) that is a voltage meter.  When the car is running the voltage meter sits at about 12.1.  I have no power issues while running the car, but then it died on me after the car hadn't run for a day or two.  If the amp is pulling too much power, how would i wire a second battery?  Would i have to connect it to the existing battery, or could i wire it completely separate from the car?  I'm new to all this stuff, so try to give it to me in lamens terms. 
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  
Your battery voltage should be around 13.8 volts when the car is running.  It sounds to me as though your alternator has failed.  Or the digital meter with your power wire kit is not accurate.   I am banking on a failed alternator.
02-mti-z07 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 5:16 AM / IP Logged  
probably an alternator on its last leg. The stereo is probably pulling too much current and the alternator is unable to properly charge the battery or the alternator is weak. A second battery wont really help that much IMO. Your best bet would be to have the alt checked and if there is a problem then change it. If there is no problem with it then most likely it is just underpowered for your setup. If this is the case you could go with a high output alternator and upgrade the big three and maybe throw a beefier battery into the mix. 12 volts is pretty low to have at the amp IMO.
05 mazda tribute: H/U Alpine IVA W-505/A pillar BA Neo Type M's/Doors 2xBA SL-85's/subs 2xBA G5 10's w/passive radiators/Proc Alpine PXA-701/Amps JL 300/4v2&1000/1v2 Power 4 gauge/200amp alt
02-mti-z07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 5:21 AM / IP Logged  
if you did want to go with a separate battery you will need a battery isolator so that the batteries do not pull current from each other. Google the topic for more advice on how to wire it. Do not think it will solve your problem though.
05 mazda tribute: H/U Alpine IVA W-505/A pillar BA Neo Type M's/Doors 2xBA SL-85's/subs 2xBA G5 10's w/passive radiators/Proc Alpine PXA-701/Amps JL 300/4v2&1000/1v2 Power 4 gauge/200amp alt
02-mti-z07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 5:23 AM / IP Logged  
Darnit.....pull voltage I mean. I need to read the forums later in the day to prevent my stupidness. Mornings are no fun.
tophubufu 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  

When my amp is connected with the car on, my voltage is 13.8.  Could it have possibly been that the car hadn't run for a few days or that the battery was semi-old.  I've since installed a new battery, since the old one died on me.  So the new battery is about 5 months old. Since with my car running at 13.8 would it be safe to say i could hook my amp and subs to the car without fear of my battery dieing?

02-mti-z07 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
yeah mine runs at about that and havent had any problems. Still would go get the alt checked. It might work okay when the amp isnt cranked but when it is the current might not be able to keep up and charge the battery at the same time. Go by autozone or the like and have them check it out. I believe its free.
tophubufu 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I am actually headed down to Autozone in a bit.  Thanks...
tophubufu 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

They actually found that my iPod radio transmitter was draining 1.5 amps from the battery while the car was off.  Once i pulled that from the car, it dropped nearly to zero.  I'm sure 3 or 4 days of inactivity with the iPod transmitter drawing 1.5 amps would do some significant damage to the car's battery.  Other than that the alternator was working perfectly, so is it safe to assume that i could re attach the amp to the car?  If i don't plan to use my car for a few days should i disconnect the amp?  I also plan on lowering the usage power of the amp, that should help, at least cut the power output in half.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  

As long as the amp is turning off when you turn the key off, there is no need to disconnect the amp.  If it is staying on when you turn the key off, you need to figure out why it is staying on.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic