icon

multiple amps/processors clean wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
disker 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2009 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

Now, before you go thinking - oh no, another newb type question, this one is more for the cleanliness of the instalation and not really a question on how to..

I have 2 amps and 5 different signal processors (2 EQTs, EQL, Epicenter, EPS3) and I want to clean up my wiring. I have the +12 and ground taken care of with no problem. My issue is the remote turn on leads. Normally, I'd run the remote from the HU to a relay, then use that to send power from a fused with into all the remotes connected together at one location.

Since this is to be a competition setup, I would like to have a more asthetically pleasing way to distribute the wires. I was thinking of using some small ground distribution blocks to distribute the remote leads to each device. I also thought of terminal strips and other items.

What would be the general consensus on the cleanest way to do this?

Many thanks in advance!

Disker
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
 plastic terminal strips
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 9:08 AM / IP Logged  
if you can post a pic maybe there is a better idea. without seeing how you have it is hard to give you other ideas
disker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
if you can post a pic maybe there is a better idea. without seeing how you have it is hard to give you other ideas

Right now I have everything pulled out until it warms up enough to build the final enclosures so I have a clean slate to start from. The way it was set up before I pulled everything last year was a single binding post with ring terminals on the remote wires and they were stacked one on top of the other on the binding post. This was very functional, but in my opinion looked very tacky.

Disker
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
Something is wrong if you have that much external signal manipulation. Phase shifts, delays and noise are the only good things to come of this. The Epicenter alone causes more problems than it's worth. Audio Control, that adds it's own level of issues. If you are doing 5.1 there are better ways to go about it. Less processing the better.
disker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
I'm well aware of the issues with multiple signal processors, but I've had this same setup installed before and was VERY happy with it. It did take some work to tune everything, but once it was done, it was heaven! :)
Disker
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
what i like to do sometimes when hiding all of the wire is not really possible is to just make all of the wires look the same. make them all arch from one unit to the next in a neat, uniform way. make all of the wires the same length and just run them together from unit to unit. i wish i had a picture to show you how it can look but if you do it right it will look as good as it possibly can while still seeing wires.
disker 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

soundnsecurity wrote:
what i like to do sometimes when hiding all of the wire is not really possible is to just make all of the wires look the same. make them all arch from one unit to the next in a neat, uniform way. make all of the wires the same length and just run them together from unit to unit. i wish i had a picture to show you how it can look but if you do it right it will look as good as it possibly can while still seeing wires.

I read this last night and couldn't grasp what you were saying, but reading it today, I think I know what you are getting at - basically daisy chain each device - and the remote go in to one device, and follow back out and down the run to the next device, etc...

Not bad - that may be just what I am looking for - sounds like it would be nice and clean that way.

THANKS!!!!

(I'm still open to other suggestions, but that sounds like a winner to me!)

Disker
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
yep, thats it. just take your time and make it neat. you can even wrap them in some mesh jackets like they use inside custom computers. like this: cable wraps

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic