icon

01 blazer, subs, wall or boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigbeast 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Here is what's up, I am not new to the audio game, been doing it all my life but this is my first S.U.V. Currently I have a 2001 Blazer, my subs are 2 x 12" Kicker Comps, and 2 x 10" Alpine type R's, I am possible looking at building a "wall" behind the rear seats, but this being my first S.U.V., this area is new to me, and I am looking for some tips, pics, diagrams, general input as how to set all this up, direction of speakers, ports, etc. I am really liking the idea of a wall, and i don't need to see out the back, as I have a rear view camera, so I am just looking for help as to the best way to do this, or if I am even thinking this will work good, I want it to look real nice, definatly going for SPL, but I can stand a little loss due to placement. I am going to do a lot of upholstery / carpeting, and custom trim for the amps, looking for some input, pics, anyone who has a blazer especially and their setups, or expertise. I am real ANTI-FIBERGLASS, just me, i think it is crap, i like my boxes. Thanks all, I love this site, and everyone's help
Brain
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
a WALL for 2 12s and 2 10s? is that really necessary? if you really must have a wall, face everything towards the front, after all, this is the point of having a wall. port down the middle with a sub of each kind on each side. keep it as symmetrical as possible from left to right. and separate each sub in its own chamber since you are mixing different kinds of subs but truthfully you should really use all of the same subs, dont mix and match. either way 4 10s or 4 12s isn't enough to warrant a whole wall, maybe a big box, but not a whole wall.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
don't mix subs...they aren't the same.
Custom Enclosure Design
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
If your planning on building a wall, you need to do at least 4 or more 12" subs. Your not going to get great results with 12" and 10" subs as they will drown themselves out. You should know, being a life long vet in car audio. Owning a blazer, I would say the most you really want is 4 12" or 10" subs in a custom box, not a wall since its not needed, and blocks vision plus the panels in the car will rattle to hell. I used to have a nice setup in my blazer, but it was removed along with the rear seats to give me more room. Now I dont have blind spots from the rear seats (2 door). Shes getting a new FIBERGLASS interior now and only using 1 10" woofer, 2 pdx amps, 2 sets of kicker rs comps, and a set of infinity reference 4"x6" ran off the jvc HU
rtfm
bigbeast 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Good thought on the subs, I kinda figured having different ones would do more damage than good, but these are just what I have acquired in the past 2 months, since I got the truck and have been slowly putting a system in it. Not being rich, I am planing on a nice big fosgate 1000w or so, class d amp, and a HO alternator, next week when i get my taxes back, and was hoping to continue with what i had already accumuliated, (2x12's, 2x10's, use the kicker 350.4 for all the front components.
I was not 100% for a wall, it was a thought, not a definate, and am still not sure, I may just build a nice custom box.
Currently I have the 2 10's in a box facing backwords, had the 2 12's same direction, but i think one was excurting the others (or whatever you may call it), too much, as I was hearing something i didn't like, i then flipped the 12" box pointing up, and although the SPL dropped a bit, is sounded cleaner at higher volume. I have just been piling peices in as I got them, and am planning the "final" install to start within the next month, as i gather all the little stuff up bit by bit.
So I am really looking for ideas for my setup, If i do boxes, i would probably aim em all up, and port each chamber to the back, If i did proceed with a wall, now the "wall" is probably not typical, as I do not want to remove the back seats,, just have the wall over them with the 4 speakers pointing out, but was really curious how and where to port a setup like that. I am leaning more toward a box, but really just looking for ideas and help.
Brain
bigbeast 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
O.K., in an earlier post, I was hit for wanting to make a wall / box with 2 kicker comp 12's (paid $50) and 2 alpine 10" Type R's (paid $60) and a total of 3 amps (lanzar 600,kicker 250.4, and hifonics 200) all totaling around $150
Now I just got my Blazer, and have just kinda been piecing stuff together that I have bought off CraigsList, and I don's have any real budget to work with. I am planning on a BIG amp to power them all when I get my taxes back in a week, a 1000w or so rockford or so, and use the 4 ch kicker for all the front sage, and re-CL the other junk.
All that said, like i say, i got deals on the speakers, and i know it would be best to have 4 of the same, but i have what i have, and not wanting to increase my budget any more in the speaker department, how is the best way to set these up in my Blazer? all the same direction? some a different direction? Or am I really gonna hurt the sound that bad with 2 different speakers. I have always had cars, and maxed out on 1 set of subs pointed to the rear of the trunk, so this part is new to me, i figured if i had all these subs, why not use them if i can.
Brain
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
if i were in your shoes i would just use the alpine type R's because those kickers are garbage compared to those type R's. im not picking on you im just telling you the truth. sell the 2 kickers and buy 1 more alpine type R 10 and just have 3 10's. you will be much happier. now if you are still going to use all of those subs it will be hard to predict what will happen as far as output because strange things can happen when you mix subs with different physical capabilities. it might be good or it might be bad but no one can predict if you will like what you get. its like going bird hunting with dick cheney, you might catch dinner, or you might get shot in the face.
is there anything unsafe about running different subs? no. nothing will blow up if everything is wired right but when you have 2 different subs with different capabilities you can blow the lesser of the subs (kicker comps) while the other better sub is just being used normally within its limits.
bigbeast 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, That's kewl.
Like I say, I have just been getting allthis for pennies off CL since Igit my truck, and due to good deals, have way more than I need.
That sounds good, I have never been a Kicker fan, Always RF for me, so i think best to do is junk the kickers as stated, heck, may even do that to the alpines also, as I have never been a fan of 10's.
Now I have been torn amp wise, I thought soundstream was good, but hear lately they are no as good as they used to be, so leaning more towards either rockford or orion, and probably going for whatever amp i get, getting matching subs, now keep in mind, my budget is not big, but I am wanting around a 1000w amp, and speakers to handle it, and thoughts on brand / models, and should i go 4 decent subs or 2 great subs, and being in a Blazer, gimme some thoughts on direction and porting, i would hate to have the rear window pop, or flex or anything, so i was thinking pointing up and porting back, or pointing and porting down.
Brain
soundnsecurity 
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
lmao, we just talked you off of the ledge and gave you ideas for a good system and now you want to junk it all for rockford subs. those Type Rs are better than every rockford sub except for their highest level sub ( t2 series i think) any of their power series subs are trash and the cones crack really easily. but do as you wish
bigbeast 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
well, hey, that is what i am here for, i have always been a rf fan, and personally did not like Alpine, but that stems from about a 25 year old issue, i really don't know much about their current stuff, but if you think they are better than RF, well, iam listening and may just go that way.
i do got another question, if i can get a old school PPI 2600 (1200w) for $170, would it be worth it, as i was initially considering a RF p1000, at around $280 mono class d amp for all the subs, and what would the sound diffrences be like between the 2, which would u prefer?
Brain
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic