How to find 80hz on my mono amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davemk7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  

hey guys,

the box is a jbl enclosure and sub in one. its a special edition box and sub.

here is a link :

http://uk.shopping.com/-jbl+gto+1260br

the box is perfectly made for the sub as the manufacturer is a good one ( in my view ).

i think soundnsecure may be right when he says it doesnt matter about the size of the sub.

if he has an 18" woofer that gives tight bass well then i guess it has to be down to my car acoustics and amp set up.

i have a 5.1 system for my pc, its the logitech z5500 and the sub is ported on that also. it sounds amazing tbh.

but the thing is, it is a 10" woofer and ive been told that a 10" inch hits tighter and snappy than a 12 will.

a 12" will sound lower and get better deeper notes. and no, i cant try my pc sub in my car lol.

:)

live by the ford,die by the ford.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
davemk7 wrote:

hey guys,

the box is perfectly made for the sub as the manufacturer is a good one ( in my view ).

unfortunately even prefab boxes from good manufacturers might not have your best interests in mind. they build a box that is most likely to make most people happy, which means they usually put higher output over sound quality. and it is impossible for one box design to work well in all situations, you just got unlucky with the acoustics of your car.

but the thing is, it is a 10" woofer and ive been told that a 10" inch hits tighter and snappy than a 12 will.

ive been told that too, but there is no truth to that. everybodys first instinct is to blame their subwoofers when it doesn't sound exactly like they want it, but most of the time its because of the box.

a 12" will sound lower and get better deeper notes. and no, i cant try my pc sub in my car lol.

:)

your PC subwoofer sounds a lot better because it is in a large open room with far better acoustics than your car. and sadly i've seen people try to pull off the old PC sub in the car trick and it never works out.
davemk7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

yes, i think your spot on with your synopsis tbh.

i have just spent an hour in my car playing back dynamic tracks with good mid bass and bass.

like this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlkEw6jGem4

sound quality in the vid is crap , just giving an example of the tunes i play.

anyways,  i started from scratch.

headunit settings all at zero.

then i chaned the hpf to 80, the lpf to 80.

i let the song play.

the start of the song above sounded great through my components, with the mid bass giving good snap and attack and the tweeters joined in perfectly to blend into the overall rythmn.

once the bass kicked in, it sounded distorted , uneven, and basically out of control.

i tried from 40hz, all the way up to 200hz on the amp and it sounds the same no matter what setting. ( just got deeper bass further up the frequency range from 100hz on. it did not get clearer )

ok, as for me, i'd like to thank everyone who posted and commented on my question.

my plan of thinking/action at present is this :

both pioneer headunits i have sound exactly the same ( i have back up cd players in case one breaks. being pioneer, they break once a year due to the flip face )

i am going to try and borrow another headunit , preferably an alpine unit , to test and see if the music gets better by just switching cd players. 

( please note that my components rock big time and i love them, im just having probs with the sub , how it sounds, or the cd player is sending a crap signal to the sub )

i will go past my local car shop and ask to try a different sub, preferably one thats a 10" and in a sealed box. i may try a number of sub boxes as i know the owner of the store quite well.

something has to be the weak link here. its either the cd player signal, the amp or the sub.

it could even be a mixture of both. im going to get to the bottom of it and will give feedback .

i'll take the car to test other sub boxes tomorrow.

thursday i will try fitting an alpine unit and will fiddle with it for awhile.

davemk7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  

update :

well lads, i paid a visit to the guy i know and he has his own i.c.e shop.

he fiddled around with the set up and found what was wrong.

i shouldnt have my hpf and my lpf set at 80hz.

he set the components to 120hz hpf, and then he matched the sub to 120hz lpf.

he told me that at 80hz the sub didnt have much tones to produce, hence , my sub outputting weak ass tones

and the reason its distorted is because i didnt have the amp set up properly with regards to gain / lpf setting.

im playing music now and it sounds more wholesome, if that makes any sense. the guy said i was causing a hole in the music the way i had it set up with

the 80hz hpf/lpf. he also said that although my front components were handling the 80hz beautifully ( and they do, the snap and attack is mega ) he reccomended

that i use 120hpf to save the components from any future damage and to stop starving the sub of proper notes that it wants to play.

once he switched the system to 120hz, i swear, you shudda heard the difference.

anyways, he told me to go play more with the amp frequency setting and to play back music , preferably the same track over and over,

untill it blended well with the components up front.

well, im happy enough at this stage to find out that my gear does work , and that its a good tidy little system ( he said everything is set up properly and very neat ).

its just a matter now to find the right setting on the amp for the frequency, which shouldnt be hard, he just said to turn the knob up untill it sounded good to me.

result !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :)    

thanks for the help anyways guys, im just really glad i got it sorted and got the help i needed from all involved :)

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic