icon

1980 cadillac eldorado 6.0l v8

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nitinnelapudi 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1980 cadillac eldorado that is having issues with the stereo.  Everytime I give the car gas the stereo cuts out, after i let loose the gas pedal the stereo kicks back on (mainly the subwoofers cut out...the front speakers and head unit stay on).  I believe the subwoofer amp is the one that cuts out.  Also when going over 50 mph the stereo cuts out.  This usually happens when the gas pedal is pressed and engine is rev ving.  can anyone help?
Nitin Nelapudi
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,679
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

Can you put a volt meter on the remote wire of the sub amp and rev the engine up and post the voltage you get.   It sounds as though your voltage regulator has failed.  There is protection in some amplifiers that monitors the input voltage to shut the amp off if it sees too much voltage.  This is a common problem with Older GM products and Rockford amps.  Some other amps too but the Rockfords were the worse.

nitinnelapudi 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
Okay found out what it was.
First off I'm using a Kenwood 1000 max power amp @ 2ohm's, 2ohm stable. (or 600 watts max @ 4ohms).
The first set of subs i was running that were problematic where:
2- polk audio db 10" subs, 8ohm each. the old...old school polks in a sealed enclosure. I believe this was the problem because the speakers were 8ohms and i split to make it 4ohms the amp couldn't handle the 4ohm load??????? (or it was hooked up backwards :[ )
After installing :
2- diamond audio d3 12" subs, dvc 2ohm running parallel to the voice coils and series to the subs...running 2ohms total. (i may have it backwards but i checked it using the guide on this site, followed exactly)
the problem stopped and my car is LOUD!!!!!
Nitin Nelapudi

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic