icon

No Low Beams, Viper 551r, 93 Grand Cherokee - FYI

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eBoyDog 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

Installed Valet 551R remote start & keyless entry on a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, everything worked great, for activation indicator I wired a relay into the parking light wire off the headlight switch wires and that works as wanted with it flashing the turn signal & brake light on remote start or unlock/lock activation.   (used the blue/red wire off the light switch with a relay as the wire is positive and I'm using a negitive signal to activate).

I was just finishing up and putting hte dash back togather when after installing the center dash with the headlight switch, I noticed that I had no low beams, high beams worked but no matter what I did, there were no low beams, dash lights worked, parking lights worked but nothing on the head lights but high beam.  I first I thought, the head light switch was bad as it's being a 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, it's not uncommon for the switch to go bad but regardless I hadn't dropped it or abused it.

I worked the problem over and over, checking fuses, searching the internet and just everything I could think of  until I was exhausted and then I noticed a  wire on the bundle that went to the turn signal-mutlifunction knob on the steering column; seems that in taking the dash apart and unscrewed the bolt that held the muti-pin connector in place, one wire had come out of the socket.  When the connecter was bolted on, that wire wasn't making a connection!   I working over and couldn't get it to stay in place so I crafted a flat piece of a metal connecter to wedge down in the slot with the wire in place and presto, it stayed in.

Just wanted to pass this titbit along, I wast starting to think I did something wrong in the wiring of the relay and messed up the lighting big time. Lucky for me I noticed the loose wire BEFORE I started tearing everything down as I was just getting everything put back togather. 

Also I wanted to thank The12Volt for this great site with all the valuable info, I have came here several times over the last few years for car wiring info and not a single time have I been disappointed; When I'm able I will donate I will but for now, I just wanted to tell everyone THANKS!!  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic