icon

relays for security

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fnkytrd 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  

Anyone have any new original ideas for auto security. 

I have a few... like interrupting the ignition coil or the ecu with a relay.  Or both. 

I mean, I think it's kewl to have the fuel pump not run... but it's been played out.  I mean the whole car is one big ball of electrical.  Im pretty sure we could think of something better than a fuel pump switch and a steering wheel disconnect. 

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,677
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  
What is that smell?   Due to liability reasons, You should only install a starter kill, not ignition, ecm or fuel pump kill.  Reason being, if a starter kill malfunctions due to a bad relay or a bad connection by the installer, worst case scenario, the customer is inconvenienced because their car will not start.  Ignition, fuel pump or ecm kill with the same malfunction could leave a vehicle dead in the middle of an unsafe maneuver such as pulling onto the highway in front of an 18 wheeler.  best case scenario there is still worse than the worst case scenario of the failed starter kill.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
and besides, none of those ideas are "new" at all by any means. they have all been thought of before and done several times too im sure, but yea, like IAAI said, its not a good idea, for obvious reasons and thats why its not a practice in the industry.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
Had you suggested those ideas about 15 years ago they might have been original, stand-alone  ( Cat ll) immobilisers have been available for about 12 years at least. Apart from that what in heavens name do you  think afactory key transponder does?  It's a lot more sophisticated than a "relay". One more thing,  I guarantee that once inside the car, I wil defeat ANY relay based system in about 15 mins and I mean joints resoldered, sleeved and boxed up.  Listen to the gentlemen above they know what they are talking about, incidentally, what' uses a coil any more?
fnkytrd 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
I totally agree with all of you. A fried computer isn't worth the security. I guess what Im looking for is the original idea. I guess if someone really wants it, they are gonna get it. My thought is to make it as hard as possible for them to get it.
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds to me like, some one has come into some money and is pitching for patent ideas.relays for security -- posted image.
Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Patent this.....aquire a large,  very aggressive,  very protective German Shepherd,  teach him how to use a shotgun and voila. It worked for me (without the shotgun).
fnkytrd 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
I got the german shepherd. haha... and he loves messing with people if they get near my stuff.
I also found this flame thrower thing for the car security. Kinda interesting. can you say "ouch".
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
The best defense that I can think of would involve firearms/blunt instruments and an alarm with 2-way remote(or better yet, GPS/cellular communication) installed sans parking light flash, siren/horn, and domelight connection.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2009 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  

Don't forget the back up battery - cutting the battery cables is typically the first thing done one the car is on a flat bed.   :)

I've got an original one for you - each time you park the car remove the wheels and set the frame on the ground.  I would almost guarentee you that no one would bother trying to steal your car.

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic