icon

python 1400xp keyless entry , bitwriter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
eBoyDog 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  

Does or can the Python 1400XP be used also for keyless entry?  I just bought one for a ridiculas low price of $20 at the big Ciruit City going out of business sale.  The user guide refers to the default programming of the remotes fobs as the "lock" button being the "arming and panic functions" while the unlock button being "disarm function".  Does this description really mean lock and unloack?  The installation guide has the wires for lock and unlock so I know the control box is capable of basic lock/unlock  but the overall description of the unit is "ignition controled door locks".

Second part of the the question, I have a DEI Bitwriter with 2.0 code, will it work with programming the funtions of the 1400XP or do I need to upgrade it?  I know nothing about the BitWriter except the 1400XP can be programmed by one. I picked the BitWriter up at Circuit City $5 which I have on eBay right now which I may cancel if it will work or otherwise sell it if it requires an update to work with the 1400XP.

If the Bitwriter with 2.0 code will work with the 1400XP and if the lock/unlock key function needs to be reprogrammed then I think I have a way to go as I have a DEI 455T module that I got in big box of DEI parts from them too which most the other stuff I'm selling eBay.  Next week is my wife's birthday so I hopefully the 1400XP is going to be her birthday present!  

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  

Brief answers:

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Extended answers:

Yes. The 1400 XP has door lock outputs. H4 ( green and blue wires in a 3-pin plug)

No. Arm/Disarm isn't refering to Lock/Unlock.

Yes. Bitwriter chip version 2.0 will be compatible with the 1400XP.

P.S. The 455T is a 96 to 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee oem doorlock/alarm interface. Unless your wife drives a 96 to 98 Jeep....sell this on eBay....you won't need it.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
rocketpants85 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Of course the 1400xp can be used for keyless entry. That's what the 2 wire harness with one green wire and one blue wire is for. Silly. as for how it you hook it up, well that depends on your vehicle, and what type of  power locks it has. Refer to the section on this website about that. It has some pretty good descriptions of how to install them. If you need to use relays with the locks, the 456L (i think that's the correct part number) that came with the 1400 should be just what you need for the vast majority of vehicles. as for how you use it, yes the lock button on the FOB and the unlock button on the FOB should be what locks and unlocks the doors.

I have to say though, even for the big blow out sale $20 bucks is kinda low. At my circuit city they were still going for 45 or so. Granted that didn't stop me from buying 4 and charging some people I know $100 bucks + extra parts (bypass etc) to install them. You sure your local CC manager didn't rip you off by selling you a defective one?

As for the bit writer, I've only used one once or twice, but my understanding was that any function that needed programming you could just do via the bitwriter instead of the normal method with the button/led.

eBoyDog 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

Just answered my own question by reading the 1400XP install guide, first page behind the cover at the bottem state the 1400XP requires BitWriter 2.2 code or newer to program it.

Now if I can figure out if I just the $20 small chip to or both the small chip and the larger one to upgrade I will be set, seems that when I opened the BitWriter up, the big chip was not socketed so I'm not sure how that can be upgraded or not.

ANY Bitwriter experts out there??

rocketpants85 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  

And Big Dog beats me with a much more elegant and straightforward response.

eBoyDog 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

So the remote buttons have to be re-programmed for the lock/unlock function, no problem I guess... 

I have one vote for the 2.0 code on the Bitwriter working as is

Wife has a 98 Grand Cherokee which we bought a couple weeks ago so I'm set there, it has keyless entry but the prev owners lost the factory remotes and I'm 99% sure it doeasn't have a factory security systems already.  I'm not really eager to spend $40 on a pair off eBay and then have to go to the deal to have them programmed.

I just installed a Valet 551 on my daughters 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee last weekend and low and behold, the remotes from it are compatable with the Python 1400xp so I have hopes of either screwing it all up or getting all the remotes to work togather.

I'm thinking I will cancel my eBay auction for the BitWriter pay the $17 bucks for the 998U chip upgrade and see were that get's me, nothing else it all goes back on eBay!   I would hate to get the install done and find I needed the 2.2 code!

Big Dog 
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
eBoyDog wrote:

Just answered my own question by reading the 1400XP install guide, first page behind the cover at the bottem state the 1400XP requires BitWriter 2.2 code or newer to program it.

Now if I can figure out if I just the $20 small chip to or both the small chip and the larger one to upgrade I will be set, seems that when I opened the BitWriter up, the big chip was not socketed so I'm not sure how that can be upgraded or not.

ANY Bitwriter experts out there??

The chip you need is a 998U. It's the small 8-pin chip. BTW, we're at version 2.6 so anything from 2.2 to 2.6 will work. Don't change the 40-pin chip.

eBoyDog 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  

This might sound like a stupid question, it's not difficult to reprogram the arm/disarm buttens to be door lock/unlock? 

Ok... the box "says" 1400Xp" so I just assumed such I would have to look at the box number closer , I couldn't figure out the 40 pin chip anyhow, from the visuals I saw on eBay and I found a PDF document, there's a replacement for it but's not a chip but rather looks like a flat circuit board that plugs in.  Now the BitWriter I have, that 40 pin chip isn't in a socket and to remove it, one would have to de-solder the pins!?!?

Thanks, the 998U chip upgrade is the one I just ordered and canceled my auction,  If it doesn't workout and I dont' need a the BitWriter, I will let you guys know and see if anyone is interested in buying it before putting back on eBay. Chances are I will get tired of reprogramming the 1400 after a couple of weeks and that's all I would be keeping it for.

Big Dog 
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

Follow the instructions to program the remote to channel 1 "auto learn".

Lock/unlock on the remote will also be arm/disarm on the FAA and FAD wires.

Forget the 40-pin chip.

BTW, you can also program via the valet switch rather than use the Bitwriter.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic