icon

faint shhhhh noise, pioneer avic-f800bt

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed a Pioneer AVIC-F800BT navigation unit in an '06 Hyundai Sonata. The customer came back today and is complaining of a faint "shhhhhhhh" noise. It is there, but I'm not sure what, if anything, I should do about it.
The rest of the sound system is stock with a stock amp. The "shhhh" noise can be heard at low volumes with any media playing.
Any ideas?
"Drive it like you stole it"
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

The guys wife?

Discconnect the deck output from amp, and turn on, listen if coming from factory amp.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

I am assuming you are still using the factory amp,  Try this, remove the radio and at the connection point where you connected the Radio's wires to the harness, cut one of the negative speaker wires.  Play the system and see if that channel still plays.  If it still plays, close the car up and listen to that speaker and see if the noise has diminished.  Start the car and check for engine noise.  If it is quieter and has no noise, clip the negatives of the other 3 channels, insulate all ends of the wires and reevaluate. 

After you clip the first channel, if that speaker quits playing, check for DC voltage on the negative wire on the harness.  The wire that goes to the car, if there is less than a volt of DC, Ground that wire to the chassis.  Make sure you do not ground the wire that comes from the radio.  After grounding that wire, listen for the hiss and also start the car and listen for engine noise.  There is audio on both the positive and negative wires coming from the radio.  If we eliminate signal from one of those wires, it should lower the noise floor.  Only ground the negative wire going to the amp if it has less than a volt of DC on it.  If it has DC voltage you may need to ground it through a capacitor.  100Microfarad should work fine.

GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  
I thought about disconnecting the input to the amp, but I don't think this problem existed with the stock HU.
So you're saying the speaker may play without a ground? I've never tried that, but how does it play if the circuit isn't complete? Does sound quality suffer?
When you say check for DC voltage on the negative, you are talking about grounding the black lead on the multimeter and putting the red lead on the side of the wire on the input to the amp? Is that correct?
If it didn't do this before the new head unit, why would it do it now? Is there noise coming from the head unit?
Thanks for the replys
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

I am not telling you to disconnect a speaker.  The vehicle has a factory amplifier.  You are disconnecting the negative input lead of the amp.  Depending on the design of the factory amp, it may or may not play without the negative wire connected.  If it does not play, if you connect the negative input wire of the amp to chassis ground, this will cut the input voltage in half.  This should get rid of your noise.  There is audio on both the positive and negative speaker wires of the radio.  This means that the input of the amp has audio on both wires.  The signal is out of phase on the negative wire.  That is how a High Power radio works.  If you ground the negative inputs of the amp, this will cut the signal getting to the amp in half, thus getting rid of the noise.

You are correct in the procedure for checking for DC voltage.

Depending on the design of the amplifier, it may decrease sound quality if playing it without the negative wires connected.  If the sound is not right, ground the negative amp input wires to the chassis. 

There is a good chance that the factory radio only has signal on the positive speaker wires.  Your radio has signal on both wires.  Twice the signal = twice the hiss.

GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2009 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, OK. I will try that. He should be in Saturday morning.
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, he came over this morning and I tried what you said. First I cut the ground on the left front speaker (amp input at the head unit) and the speaker stopped playing but the noise was reduced. You could crank the volume all the way up and hear a little, but it was stopped for the most part. Then I checked for DC voltage on the side of the negative I cut going towards the amp. I got 4.5V! This sounded high to me, so I didn't bother installing a cap. We called Crutchfield and their tech said it sounded like the amp was being overdriven, which I think that pretty much describes the noise. He said to install a PAC-OEM2 to tone down the high output the head unit puts out and adjust it with the pots on the unit. I did, and the noise is still there. You can turn the pots all the way down and the noise is still there. They say the problem is the amp, though it does not have this noise when the factory Infinity head unit is installed.
Any other ideas?
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 21, 2009 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
The Pac OEM 2 is still getting signal on both the positive and negative wires.  If you put a cap on the negative input wire and ground the other end of the cap, the amp will see audio on only the positive input wire.  The negative input wire will have no signal on it.  Thus feeding the amp half of the signal that it is getting now.
GMC4x4Guy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2009 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, ok. I guess I just don't understand what the cap is doing and why.
Do I use a cap for each channel, or run them all through one cap?
i am an idiot 
Posted: February 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
The cap blocks the 4.5 volts of DC on the input wire of the amp.  You need one cap on each channel.  Do one channel and listen to it to see if the noise is at a suitable level. I would not reccomend grounding the negative wire without the capacitor. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic