icon

99 grand am, remote start problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mberry1815 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
    I have a 99 grand am gt and I"m having issues with the remote starter I'm trying to install. The remote starter is an autostart as-2775 and I have the xk01 bypass. I have everything wired up and when i try to remote start it turns the car over and wont start. If I put the key in and turn it to on before the remote starter starts its second try it will fire and then shut the engine off. I know I have the xk01 programed correctly and have it hooked up to the data wire. I also dont know if I have the rite wire for the tach, I've seen 2 different colors for this wire online (white, PURPLE / white). Any help would be greatly appreciated considering I can't get any tech support from D.E.  
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like you have another ignition wire that needs to be powered and that you also need to test for and locate a good tach signal from either the coil or an injector and program the tach signal to your unit. do you have a meter to test your suspect tach signal wires?
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
Temporarily reprogram your unit for voltage sensing mode, and see what happens.
If it works correctly in voltage sense, then you had the wrong tach wire........if it still doesn't work, your problem lies elsewhere.
mberry1815 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
      I do have a multimeter and found a wire that gave me an a.c. reading at the pcm. Even with this wire hooked up to the remote start unit it still does the same thing ( start w/ key in on possition, then die). I know the car has ignition 1 and ignition 2 but the starter only has wiring for ignition 1. Could this be my problem and if so is it possible to use this remote starter with only one ignition wire?
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
mberry1815 wrote:
I do have a multimeter and found a wire that gave me an a.c. reading at the pcm. Even with this wire hooked up to the remote start unit it still does the same thing ( start w/ key in on possition, then die). I know the car has ignition 1 and ignition 2 but the starter only has wiring for ignition 1. Could this be my problem and if so is it possible to use this remote starter with only one ignition wire?
Your system DOES offer a second ignition output. The pink/white is an output that can serve as ignition, accessory, or starter output, it is programmable. Page 19 shows the jumper that controls this output. Yes you need both ignitions hooked up for the RS to work.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
73stingray 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Both the pink and dark green ignition wires (on the grand am side) need to be hooked up to start. You can always add a relay to get the second output too. If you want your heater to work under remote start you'll also need to hookup the orange wire in the ignition harness. I just installed a commando unit on my 99 grand am and I used the PURPLE / white wire at the coil for tach sense, although I've heard one of the white wires at the PCM will work too.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic