icon

add relay to starter to boost pwr

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kmc6566 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

I have an issue with my 1988 toyota celica.  It does not always start.  I have researched it and found one possibility to be a wiring issue that happens with this year car.  The solution I found was to wire a relay up before the starter to give the current a boost which should remove the issue.  But When I did it the car won't start.  I have obviously wired up the SPDT 12V relay incorrectly.  There are 5 pins on the relay.  85, 86, 87, 87A and 30.

I believe 85 should go to ground.  30 should go to the starter.  I had hooked up 87 to the positive battery terminal with a 30amp fuse.  And then took the wire from the ignition and hooked it to 86.

Can someone help an idiot wire this up correctly.  Thanks.

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

All OK except for pin 86. Should go to the start wire not ignition. If that's what you meant then sorry.

But ya, it should start.

Does relay "click" ? Maybe it's tyhe ignition switch.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure you hooked pin 86 to a true ignition wire and not an accessory wire?  You need to make sure the relay is energizing when the key is in the "start" position.
Kevin Pierson
kmc6566 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe I wasn't clear in my first post.  The car does start the way it was.  Just only 90% of the time.  So I took the wire that ran to the starter from the ignition and cut it.  Then took the end running from the ignition and connected it to pin 86.  Then connected a wire from pin 30 back to the wire that was connected to the starter.  And yes the relay clicks.  But when I hooked a meter up to the relay at pin 30 when the key was turned I did not get a reading at pin 30.  Which didn't make sense to me.

I figured when the key was turned current would run to pin 86 even if the current was too low to start the car it would turn on the relay which would then click over to make pin 87 hot which is connected to the battery's positive post.  This would in turn boost the current going out of pin 30 which would then start the car.

Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
A shorted starter solenoid or bad starter motor? Armature might rest at one particular spot where it shorts out. This would explain intermittent starts and low or no reading on pin 30. But it doesn't make sense if you have a fuse on pin 87. If you disconnect pin 30 from the starter and read pin 30....do you read voltage? maybe you smoked that relay's contacts. Try another.
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I would try a different relay first.  I would also check to make sure you are hooked to Pin 87 and not 87A.
Kevin Pierson
kmc6566 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2009 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  

I just want to thank everyone for their replys.

I was able to get this working.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic