icon

fog relay/ oem momentary switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
themodifier 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2009 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

Newbie here. Very fog relay/ oem momentary switch -- posted image. and informative site. Looking for a little help with installing my fog lights on my 99 Silverado. I've attached a link of the factory wiring diagram. https://il88.photobucket.com/albums/z64/IMI4tth3w/foglightelectricaldiagram.gif

I am attempting to bypass the BCM(body control module). I believe that I need to install a "Latched on/off" relay(as noted on this site). https://www.the12volt.com/12voltimages/latchonoffspnd.gif

I am not sure if this is correct, because it appears that the factory relay is receiving a negative ground input from the bcm, and the latching relay would be providing a positive input according to the diagram.

Any ideas on how to properly accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I would prefer to not use diodes.  

themodifier 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2009 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
I would assume by the lack of response, it is impossible to convert a negative pulse into a constant negative output via relays??fog relay/ oem momentary switch -- posted image.
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,366
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2009 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

the link doesn't work (at least for me).  and yes, you can convert a negative pulse to a negative output with a latching relay.  do you need to have a negative output?  an old VW headlight relay will do what you are trying to accomplish although with a positive output.  the relay is rated for 150W, good enough for two fog lights (55W bulbs of course)

m

running with sissors 'cause i can

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2009 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

themodifier wrote:
I would assume by the lack of response, it is impossible to convert a negative pulse into a constant negative output via relays??fog relay/ oem momentary switch -- posted image.

it is absolutely possible. you are not getting much response because your link does not work.

themodifier 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2009 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
Not sure what happened with the link. Let me try it again.
fog relay/ oem momentary switch -- posted image.
I need to convert a negative pulse from my factory momentary switch to the factory relay which requires a constant negative signal. My objective is to use factory components, but eliminate the BCM. Once again, I thank you in advance for your assistance and input.
themodifier 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
Any ideas?
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

fog relay/ oem momentary switch -- posted image.

themodifier 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. Just to be clear, the purple output in your diagram is constant negative, right? If I understand, the relay on the right will stay energized until either ground or 12v(+) is removed, right? If so, I need to see if there are other options with more relays. I need to have the ability to engage and disengage the latched output with a single pulse from a switch. The first pulse from the switch will engage the latch. The next pulse from the switch will disengage the latch. If at all possible, I would prefer not to use a diode as noted in the diagram you provide. Thanks again for all the help!!
ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  

have you looked in the "relay" section at the top of the page yet? im assuming you are not getting many replies because there are already diagrams there to do just what you are wanting (provided you are willing to use 6 relays because you dont want to use any diodes). either that or purchase an electronic latching relay.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic