icon

subwoofer repair

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
willieisking 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2009 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  

I have a ?. I've found a set of two JL 10W7s online for around $280. The problem is that the outer foam ring is torn. I was wondering if this can be repaired, how much it would cost, and if the subs will work well afterward. Basically i am wondering if this is a good idea or if I should just try and buy a slightly cheaper set. Thanks

moparfan1234 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM / IP Logged  
i have seen a place online once that said they could repair subs like that but i cant seem to find it agan. maybe do a search and see what you can find. or call JL audio them selves and see if they could do it. my self i wouldnt pay that much for subs in that kinda shape you could probly find a good used set some where els for that kinda money.
87 ramcharger eclipse CD5000 2 15" memphis M3 kenwood 900rms mono amps
99 dodge cummins diesel eclipse CD4000 1 12" memphis Mclass 800rms audiobuhn amp
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
If it's just a little tear, a dab of silicone or caulking will usually hold it together with no noticeable difference in sound.
On the other hand, if the entire surround is ruined, yes, there may be some people who can replace them for you, although shipping a heavy subwoofer back and forth to a repair shop would add a lot of cost.
Or maybe if you Google, you might find a surround repair kit, and try to glue them on yourself.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic