icon

what is the absolute best alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
app1587 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2009 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
Here goes my first post at the12volt.com!
I've recently been in the market for a top of the line alarm system. It is going into a 1993 Honda Accord. Cost is not a concern, this is one item I am not going to skimp on. I want a fully-covered vehicle, and the peace of mind that comes with it.
So far I've been doing a great deal of research online and have begun talking to alarm shops in my area about different brands etc. Originally I wanted the Autopage RS 1000 OLED (Or C3 RS 900 LED because I've heard problems about the OLED remotes) but the owner of one of the shops I went to recommended the Clifford 50.7x because of their history/reliability.
I liked the Autopage because I can use my cell phone to unlock/lock/arm etc. and because of the GPS tracking feature. The man said that DEI also has a GPS system.
I would appreciate any input on high quality alarms out there, and also comparisons between the Autopage C3 RS 1000/900 and Clifford 50.7x with GPS. So far I've only been able to find a somewhat decent review/comparison in 'Performance Auto & Sound' magazine.
I am getting in addition to the brain:
shock sensors
tilt sensors
microphone
piezo sirens
two way paging
vibrate remote + sound
starter kill
secondary starter kill
fuel cutoff
remote unlock
remote trunk popper?
interior fogger?
vehicle tracking system
proximity sensor/microwave sensor
back up battery (sirens too)
one mile+ range
neutral safety switch kill
hood pin
rear door handles for front handles, no key hole
Remote Vehicle Starter?
cellular notification
^any additions are welcome.
I like that the Autopage offers an unlimited number of uses through cell phone. I want to be able to check the status of my car from my cell phone often. Feel free to mention other alarms if they're better.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2009 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
I might be biased but I've owned many Clifford in the past and my fave to date is the 50.7x. The only only that tops that is the Clifford Responder HD for graffics.
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Get rid of the tilt, and the mike they wil false, use a dual  zone  prox.  Forget secondary starter kill, if I can get inside,  I'll  re-route that lot in 30 secs!   No keyhole?   Good luck when you get a flat battery!  All you need is one regular siren (hidden) and one battery back-up.  I've also owned much Clifford product in the past but US made,  I don't much like the current DEI product , I believe Autopage is now DEI.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2009 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  
I've installed quite a few different brands of alarms over the years and personally like Compustar the best. They have great range, are very installer friendly, and are very reliable. They also offer a GPS tracking system that allows lock/unlock/starting via computer and cell phone. That's a really expensive option to add to a 93 accord though.
I used to have a Clifford alarm system on my car (pre DEI) and had quite a few problems with it. They were notorious for having issues with their alarm brains back then. Now they seem to be just re-badged DEI alarms.
xicano21 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
I would be more concern on the install itself than on the price of the alarm, think of it this way, you can have the top of line secuirty system but if its install sloppy and not hidden then theres no point
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

Following Howie's post about shaved handles let me share some personnal experience.

Add a mechanical means to enter your car in case of a dead battery. I added a bicycle shifter cable to my lock mechanism in my door and passed this through the door boot to a secret location. If ever my battery dies, like it's done in the past, I can get into my car by simply pulling a lever.

I filled the cable with lithium grease using a grease gun until the grease came out the other end to assure years of trouble free use.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
app1587 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
bump, can someone tell me the best alarm on the market?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM / IP Logged  
No as in how long is a piece of string and is your car worth it?  Your car on a good day is worth about a third of what you're going to have to spend.  We just threw away a 97 Accord.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

The "best" alarm is subjective, there is no correct answer. 

You might as well have asked us what the best color is or who makes the best car. 

Go to a local shop, they will have the "best" alarm there and a salesperson to answer all your questions.

Kevin Pierson
bigbuffs 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
Of course this is subject to opinion but I think he is just trying to get a good idea of what top remotes are out there. I have been wondering this for a while as well.
I originally put an easycar remote starter in my car and was pleased with that. I recently put a python in there and have been very disappointed with it so I might put the easycar back in or if I can find one with really great features I might just get another one.
I would really like to find one that will automatically unlock when I walk up to the door. The easycar actually has this feature but it doesn't work like it should.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic