J3adSeed 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2003 at 6:34 PM / IP Logged  
i have an illuminated switch. now normally lets say you wire it like this:
1: power
2: ground (to light up light)
3: acc
now my problem is i have to switch the GROUND off the item, not the power. so how do i do that and still make it light up?
is this right:
1: acc negative
2: ground (to light up light)
3: ground (to ground item)
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2003 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
why are you switching the ground???
wire it hot(red)and the acc. wire.
make sure you use the right size fuse
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
J3adSeed 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2003 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
well obviously i CAN'T do that or i would have already. my question is will it work? the reason i can't is because it's a 3-way switch, choosing one of two grounds. it acts as on-off-door like the dome light. since the car is wired using ground switches, there is no power supply i can use to determine when the door is open, only a ground. therefore i'm using a ground switch. but WILL IT WORK?
draasch 
Gold - Posts: 2,172
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
are you trying to use it to turn off your domelight??
what is the yr make and model of car??
Good Luck
David
Ace Security
813-376-9778
Tampa
Donate to the 12volt
J3adSeed 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2003 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
i have neons up under the dash, and i have them wired LIKE the domelight. so that i can turn em on, or off, or have them come on when the doors open.
i have a 2001 celica and it uses a constant 12v to the dome light, and the ground determines on/off/door.
i don't want to get all complicated with relays and stuff for something this simple, i just need a light up switch.
on a side note, i would really want a blue light up switch of some kind that looks good. i was thinking an led-tipped toggle. but i can't seem to find anything that is good that is on-off-on and have blue lighting. anyone know of something like that?
TomEllis 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged  
No, that will not work.
The bulb needs 12 volts at the acc area and a ground at the ground area to work. the filament is between those connections.
One way is to wire it up the first way and go through a relay to switch the ground.
another way, I have not tried this and I do not know if it will work, is to wire the 12 volts to the ground connection and put the ground on the power connection and put the ground wire to the item on the acc connection.
Good luck,
Tom
Powerslave0 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
Wire power to the POWER lead, ground to the GROUND lead, then your ACCESSORY to the ACC lead. When you switch it on, power is passed through the light, and to the Accessory. They are both grounded through the GND lead. I have used them before, if put on backwards, the light simply illuminates when OFF. . . I have done that once, just switched the ACCY and POWER applications.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic