icon

broken power window, 2001 grand prix

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
12voltfan 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
The left side rear window on my 2001 Grand Prix recently quit working while it was all the way down, I did some research and it seemed like everywhere i looked they recomended a new motor and regulator module which I ended up replacing, but when I tried the new motor it went down once and it stayed down just like the old one, when i pushed the window control down i can hear a clicking sound from the motor or maybe a relay but when I try to make the window go up, nothing happens. I tried the control from this side on the right side window and it worked ok there. and the control from the right window did not wrok on this left windo either.
Is there a chance that I may have an open wire somewhere, and how do I go about finding it? Or was I unlucky enough to get a defective motor replacement?
Thank you.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2009 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Check the outputs from first the switch in driver's door, then rear second switch.  If the driver's switch is in the driver's door I can almost bet you've either a faulty switch front or back OR a broken wire in the driver's door tube.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I know I've the benefit of hindsight but assuming the regulator was also changed, the fact that it goes in one direction means the motor is OK and you shouldn't have changed it.  My first course of action would have been to get at the two motor wires between the switch and the motor with a spare battery or power pack, disconnect from the switch and try and see if it goes up and down. It's effectively a process of elimination.  I made the point about the regulator because that was a very common failing on M/benz front windows, the regulator would lose a tooth and then the motor would freewheel going nowhere.
12voltfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you howie, i guess I should have started with the wiring, instead of with the motor. I will look at the wires this afternoon. Oh and I did replace both, the motor and regulator, they came as one piece from where i bought them.
Thanks again.
12voltfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
I finished instaling the regulator last night, it took me a long tme because the holes for the screws in the new regulator did not match my glass.
I now realize that the left rear window does not go up or down from the drivers controls and only goes down from the rear door controls. Which one of the wires would be the most likely culprit for this? The dark purple or green..?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Your front switch is faulty, at rest there are 2 neg wires coming from it.  On up one will go live, the other stay at ground. on down they should reverse. Don't know colours etc, hell I haven't seen a Grand Prix in 20 years. Above is assuming the back windows aren't data or 1 touch control from the front switches.
12voltfan 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Howie,
I found a broken wire that goes to the rear door switch, I checked both the dark green and dark purple and then run a new wire piggy tailed to the purple wire, from the kick panel to the rear door switch and now my window works like it is supposed to frome the drivers side and also the rear door.
Thanks for your help
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM / IP Logged  
Is the break perchance where the cabling goes into a door?  Just trying to be clever but I'm glad you solved the problem.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic