the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Check Engine Light On After Remote Start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vktran226 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  

I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima with a Viper 5900 installed.  I used the IDATA link module for the install.  The check engine light came on.  I am about to take it to the dealership to have them look at it.  I do not want the dealer to BS me about it being the alarm's fault.  What are the reasons why the check engine light would come on?  What can you imagine the dealer blaiming it on so I don't have to go through the BS others have.  Thanks!

robertsc 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Probably a ignition wire was missed.
Mark Mizenko 
Copper - Posts: 460
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

How long has the system been in the vehicle?

Did you put it into gear before the RS shut off ever?

vktran226 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
The system has been in the vehicle for about 1 or 2 months now.  I never did, but I'm pretty sure the valet guys did.  The installer told me not to put it into gear until the inidcator light on the pushbutton turn to the "ON" position.  What happens if it is put into gear before it reaches the "ON" position?  What code will it shoot?  How can I tell the dealership to fix the problem?  Thanks for the quick reply!
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
Many codes can occur if this is what happened. Ask the dealer to scan the car for codes, record them and then disconnect the negative battery terminal. Have them touch the negative cable to the positive post for about 30 seconds. This will drain any capacitance from the system and the back-up memory for the codes. Then have the dealer clear the codes. If they don't do the battery procedure the codes will return right away. Many Nissan dealers are totally unaware of this fact.
sparky
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

interesting fact, sparkie, i have a question for you though, do you touch the negative cable to the positive post while the positive cable is intact to the battery post and connected to the car?

JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
if you have an autozone or advanced near you, most will scan and clear the code for free.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  

I would definately try to get a shop like Autozone to read and clear the code for you.  That way, before you go to the dealership (if you do have to go) you'll have an idea of what is going on.

With the sensitive electronics in newer cars I've never liked the idea of touching the positive and negative terminals together to "drain the caps".  It's never a wise idea to short out charged capacitors and if one were to blow it could cause all kinds of stability problems with the ECU or BCM.  Most newer Nissans if you wait 10 mintues with the battery disconnected the codes will be gone. 

The dealership will most likely try to charge you to clear the code, because that is what dealerships like to do.  If the code is at all related to the remote start you won't really have an option but to pay them.  It may be worth it to pickup an OBDII reader that works on the car - it would probably cost the same amount as one trip to the dealer and you can use it over and over again.

Kevin Pierson
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 7:57 AM / IP Logged  
I have to agree with everyone else here too.
Certainly the dealer will charge you an hour's labor to look at the car and scan the codes. You can get a nice code scanner at Wal Mart for 98, and there are some basic ones out there for as little as $50.
Autozone, and probably Advanced or Pep Boys would be good options too.
You might have some luck by just disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, reconnecting it, and starting the car back up by hand (without the remote starter).
There's also a procedure to read and reset the light all by yourself. It's a little tricky and doesn't seem to always work on the first try, but with a little patience you should be able to do it:
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-faq-howto-area/13131-read-reset-service-engine-soon-ses-light.html
vktran226 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
Well the grand total is $150.  $100 for the diagnostics, $50 for the rental, and that's not even to clear the codes.  The car is essentially fine though, right?  It is just the module that is causing the car to fire all the codes?  Which code scanner should I get, the people at Nissan said it should be one that can work with "CAN" systems? 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic