the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

box designer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wadewills 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2009 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

Hey i have been tryin to use WinISD and the software doesnt make alot of sense to me.  I was modeling 2 audioque HDC3 15's. I put in all the TS parameters and the optimum box it kept putting out was Around 5 cubic foot.  I had fiqured on around a 9 cube ft box tuned to 38hz but it wants a 5 with 46hz tune.  Is this really the best box design for these speakers? 

Also in a tahoe would doing an upwards firing system with ports to the hatch of the suv give a better output or does the conventional everything facing back achieve optimum out put?

Thanks

Wade

Enjoy Life theres plenty of time to be dead
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
WinISD makes optimum enclosures on different calculations. The majority of the time these are far from ideal and not something you would want to actually use. It is not surprising to get an "ideal" enclosure that is around 20 cubes or more. You can even get very small enclosures that you know can't be correct. I wouldn't ever go strictly off of WinISD's recommendations.
When using WinISD you should go with what you think will work the best. Also, you will want to refer to the manufacturer's recommendations as well. This will help you to make sure the enclosure you came up with is actually close to what the manufacturer recommends.
The reason I say that you should refer to the manufacturer's recommendations is that WinISD is not going to be perfect. The T/S parameters you get from a manufacturer are typically far from accurate. This means designing an enclosure specifically around these parameters is not always the best idea. Sure you can use it to give you a basic idea of what to expect and what will work. You will, however, need a reference to make sure that you are on the right track when you are designing your enclosure.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
Don't use WinISD for AudioQue subs...they don't model well.
Just use there recommended enclosure sizes and tune between 36-40Hz. It will slam.
Custom Enclosure Design
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
wadewills wrote:

Hey i have been tryin to use WinISD and the software doesnt make alot of sense to me.  I was modeling 2 audioque HDC3 15's. I put in all the TS parameters and the optimum box it kept putting out was Around 5 cubic foot.  I had fiqured on around a 9 cube ft box tuned to 38hz but it wants a 5 with 46hz tune.  Is this really the best box design for these speakers? 

Also in a tahoe would doing an upwards firing system with ports to the hatch of the suv give a better output or does the conventional everything facing back achieve optimum out put?

Thanks

Wade

In my Navi i tried up and back. Firing rear it actually sounds way better and is was almost 3 DB louder. I have about 18 inchs from the subs to the rear wall. So it allows time for the standing wave to build before being sent forward. The best advice i can give is just do some trial and error. Because what worked for me may not work for you. If you dont have room for the standing wave to build before being sent forward you may be better off facing them up. I noticed in mine facing rear but with it only about 6-8 inched away from the back wall it is not nearly as loud or clear so facing up and porting rear would be better if i had less room. Hope this helps

box designer -- posted image.
wadewills 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help.  I talked to audioque and they gave me some suggestions.  I will be able to give at minimum 20 inches to the rear with the enclosure i thought about.  I didnt really think winISD was the best for this sub and i figured since everyone was using around 9ft cubed boxes that they werent wrong.  Thanks for all the help
Enjoy Life theres plenty of time to be dead
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM / IP Logged  
Standing waves "building up" before "being sent forward"??
Sound reflects...it doesn't wait to build up energy then all of a sudden go in some direction.
Custom Enclosure Design
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
You really have no grasp of sound waves do you? Did i say anything about it being trapped and released? very far from it. Im simply stating it allows the wave time to build/establish before it is sent/reflected towards the front. From a so called box builder of your so called experience. I think you would have a grasp of how sound waves align and travel.
box designer -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic