icon

2x kicker cvr vs 1 15 alpine r

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bumflik 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
I need a little bit of help since I cant make up my mind. Should I go with a 2x 12" kicker CVR set up or 1 15" alpine type R. Both will be ported
The 2x12" CVRs would have 2 cu.ft per sub
The 1 15" Alpine type R would have 4 cu.ft
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
alpine!
bumflik 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  
YAY! Im leaning towards the alpine! I want it to be loud but I don't wanna give up sound quality, and i have read that the CVRs don't have as good of sound quality and are just boomy.
6thaveme 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
2 kicker cvrs will be much louder in every manner compared to 1 15inch type r dont listen to the alpine fans...24 inches cone area vs 15 inches cone area do the math if put into the correct box the 2 cvrs could hit lows much harder and more efficient compared to 1 15...
4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
infinity kappa door speakers
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2009 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:
2 kicker cvrs will be much louder in every manner compared to 1 15inch type r dont listen to the alpine fans...24 inches cone area vs 15 inches cone area do the math if put into the correct box the 2 cvrs could hit lows much harder and more efficient compared to 1 15...
the alpine type R 15 has way more xmax than those CVRs. so when it comes to cone displacement(not area) the type R is far superior to the kickers. it is wrong to think of the cone as a circle because it moves back and forth. it is better to think of it as a cylinder with a displacement volume instead of a circle with a certain area. this is the principle behind woofers like the W7 and RE XXX. the reason it is so loud is because it has extreme xmax capability, therefore it displaces way more air as compared to a different sub even though they are the same size. more air displacement = more pressure = louder
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
6thaveme wrote:
wrong...again
The different in output depends largely on the install and the enclosure...Either could be louder than the other.
Also the cone AREA is not 24" compared to 15"...lol that made me laugh.
AREA is AREA. You just don't ADD up two LENGTHS and that equals cone AREA.
There is negligible difference in cone area...Also xmax isn't really relevant to how "loud" a sub can play...more of how loud the lower end can be. Also rarely does a subwoofer reach its xmax...comparing displacement is worthless unless you design the enclosure to use ALL of the xmax with the power. Most cases xmax is never reached or exceeded unless the enclosure is retardedly designed.
I've had both subs...designed enclosures for both subs. Both are capable. I like the Type R better though...more versatile and can take 1200 watts all day. But if you are working with 800 watts or less I'd go with the CVR's...if you are going with more power than that I'd go with the Type R.
Custom Enclosure Design
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
6thaveme, I warned you, I just didn't think I'd be able to do it so quickly... (You REALLY have to know how much I am and will continue enjoying this! 2x kicker cvr vs 1 15 alpine r -- posted image. )
6thaveme wrote:
Excerpted from our PREVIOUS interchange, and STILL you don't learn!
haemphyst wrote:
Have you heard NOTHING that has been said? If an 8 can play as low as a 15, why can't one 15" driver be louder than two 12" drivers?
Cone area has nothing to do with how loud, how "fast", or how deep a woofer can play. It is all in the motor, not the diaphragm. My Eclipse Ti 10" played NOTICEABLY lower and every bit as loud as the Ti 12" (both drivers were DVC 4 ohm - so the amp was making the same amount of power), both in JBL SpeakerShop spec'd enclosures, with the SAME amplifier, and placed identically in the car. The 12 actually had more "punch" though, and I was amazed by that... The larger driver "sounded faster". And no, I didn't use published Theil/Small parameters; I hand-spec EVERY driver I model an enclosure for. (I spec every driver because published specs can be as much as 10% off on any given or even multiple parameters - a significant amount.)
Oh, and there is no such phrase as SQL... We've debunked it many times here. (Well... except for Microsoft database engines, but that's not what we're discussing, is it?)
Oh, and do the math:
area of a circle = pi*r²
7.5 * 7.5 * 3.141592 = 176.71455 square inches for one 15" woofer
6 * 6 * 3.141592 * 2 = 226.194624 square inches for two 12" woofers
That is just over 49 square inches of difference, in favor of the two 12s. In order to gain even a noticeable difference in output, you would have to have slightly over three 12s surface area. Two 12" drivers versus one 15" driver, with all sensitivities being the same, you'll have less than 1dB advantage, and probably give up more enclosure volume in the trunk.
49 square inches, by the way is about the same area as one oh, I don't know... 8" woofer! Huh... the magic number rears it's ugly head, again!
And here is a really nice write up by (guess who) from this forum... Involving Xmax vs output... Linearity or non-linearity of air.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
aznboi3644 wrote:
[QUOTE=6thaveme]
There is negligible difference in cone area...Also xmax isn't really relevant to how "loud" a sub can play...more of how loud the lower end can be. Also rarely does a subwoofer reach its xmax...comparing displacement is worthless unless you design the enclosure to use ALL of the xmax with the power. Most cases xmax is never reached or exceeded unless the enclosure is retardedly designed.
sorry, i meant all that xmax jive as a general statement. im fully aware that its mostly the enclosure that determines results. more xmax means better capability and potential because you can beat the crap out of the sub with low frequencies and it will still be within its mechanical limits to sound decent without distortion.
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Understood...xmax in relation to spl is not a big factor because the enclosure can be designed to have very good control of the cone at and around the burp frequency.
Custom Enclosure Design

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic