icon

2 head units to diode or not to diode?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
coolen 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  

I just picked up a dvd deck for my truck. i currently have a cd headunit in there now. would it be ok to install the dvd one the same way as the existing head unit? i have no intentions in running both at the same time, i was just wondering if the speaker out put of one, would interfere or hurt the out puts of the cd deck while it's not in use.

Thanks

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
Diodes will not work in this application.  Does one or the other units have an Aux Input set of RCA jacks?  You will need to use relays to isolate the speaker wires or feed one unit's rca output into the other unit's rca input, and connect the speaker wires to the unit that has the aux input.
coolen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 7:24 AM / IP Logged  
both decks have rca in's and outs. so is it just as simple as what you just posted? hooking one deck's output to the other decks input? that sounds pretty painless.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
That's the way I'd do it! 2 head units to diode or not to diode? -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
coolen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

well, unfortunatley i was wrong on one thing. the current deck that is in my truck does not have rca in's. so i guess my only option would be to wire up the dvd deck as the main headunit. does that sound right?

i've got a jvc kd-320, installation manual here: http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/93/GET0349-002A.pdf

the dvd deck has many many rca's on it.

coolen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  

from what i've been reading, i can hook up this other deck as usual, only if the other is turned off when it's in use?  the big question is always why- so i'll take the time to answer that. the existing jvc deck is there to play mp3's. it is also hooked up to my amp to run 2 -10 '' subs, and sounds great!  this other decks main use will be for the screen. not only that, but it also has an USB port. the jvc does not.

thanks

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  

Cool let me give you shipping info for when it or they quit working.   I will be happy to repair them for you.

coolen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
oh thanks, that would be great!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic