icon

picking out an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
k.gren 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
Hey I Have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am SE1. I will soon be getting 2 Stereo Integrty Mag D2 V4's. I am looking for an amp with a clean signal but yet isn't outrageously priced either. you can look at the subs at www.stereointegrity.com. Thanks for your help!
~K.Gren~
k.gren 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
ha sorry im gettin 2 12" SI Mag D2 V4's
~K.Gren~
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
you need an amp that will give you about 1200W at 2 ohms. either that or 2 amps that will give you 600-800W at 1 ohm. something like this
6thaveme 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
soundstream trx200d has a power rateing of 1500 watts rms at 2 ohms and is priced good for the power rateing.Soundstream makes good amps and they have been known to have very clean and efficient power.
4 12s cvr sealed
2 hifonics bxi608d
1 kinetic hc 800
alpine reciever
infinity kappa door speakers
k.gren 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
the subs can handle 500-1000 watts rms.. why not push them to their limit instead of babying them with 5 or 600 watts?
~K.Gren~
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2009 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
k.gren wrote:
the subs can handle 500-1000 watts rms.. why not push them to their limit instead of babying them with 5 or 600 watts?
thats up to you, i'm just trying to stay safe so you wont mistakenly blow your subs based on my advice. thats why i would suggest a 1200-1400W rms amp at 2ohms and stay in your proposed budget of "not too pricey", although i dont have any idea what it is. what is your budget? if you want to give them their max you would need an amp that will give you 1800-2000W at 2ohms and these amps are not cheap because these amps are usually listed as 4000W amps at 1ohm. also these amps are usually built mainly for spl, and have decently high THD at rated output. you said you want clean power, right? it would be a shame to put a set of SI MAGs(SQ subwoofer) on an amp with an insane THD. at first i had that link going to a diamond audio amp with a THD of .2, but, i realized that it only gave you 1200W at 1 ohm. so i found the next best thing, IMO.
now, there are definitely other options for you to get the good, clean power you want. but, the question is what are you willing to spend?
k.gren 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  

im willing to spend up to 800... ha i know that wont get me too far but im a poor college student

~K.Gren~
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
This should work nicely. It has good build quality, but it is at the top of your budget. But all in all it is a good choice.  JBL GTO24001     I tried to make you a hyperlink but it wasent working right for some reason.  You can find it on onlinecarstereo.  The amp puts out 2400 RMS at 2 ohms, so it will oush your speakers to their limits like you were asking.  The price on that website right now it  $719.
k.gren 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
thats 2400 watts x 1 @ 2 ohms... that exceeds the limit man... I wanna push them hard but not risk blowing them
~K.Gren~
ragsports 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 03, 2009 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
This is true,  In SQ you are better off being over the rated power.  Dont forget the amplifier will only supply the ammount of power you set it up to supply.  As long as you set your gains and crossovers properly you will never blow a driver.  I have always run amplifiers with rater power above what my speakers call for and I have never blown one single driver..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic