the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

small installs are fun too.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
Just did a low-budget all-stealth one-afternoon install and thought I'd share. 2005 Ford Excursion, replaced HU with Alpine CDA-9886 with Sirius receiver and Peripheral steering wheel interface and Metra dash kit and harness adapters, Alpine PDX-5 amplifier mounted behind the dash, BA S-85 coax in the doors (customer's choice) and a pair of Tang Band W69-1436 6X9 subwoofers in the third seat area. Minimal Dynamat around the subs and on the door skins and XTC foam baffles for the coaxs. Simple, sounded pretty good, no impact on the storage or seating space in the truck, and the client was very happy.
Those little 6X9 shallow mount subs add quite a bit. Not for people looking for thump, but if you just want to fill in the bottom two octaves that are generally missing from standard in-door speakers, these can do the trick.
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
amp behind the dash? got any pictures of that
kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Pics or it didn't happen.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
kassdog wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen.
Wow... small installs are fun too. - Last Post -- posted image. "The one that got away", huh?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
I can take a couple pics tonight if you really want them but they are not likely to look like much... the amp is actually below the head unit, I'd have to pull the dash kit to see it, so that's not gonna happen, sorry. PDX amps are nice and compact. You can hide them MANY places. :)
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
i just cant believe there was that much space under the radio even for a PDX. i bet you had to take the whole dash apart though
DYohn 
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
i just cant believe there was that much space under the radio even for a PDX. i bet you had to take the whole dash apart though
Nope, it just slipped in at an angle on top of the climate controls. I held it in place with velcro and tie wraps. :)
Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
A small install in an Excursion.  That does not seem right.
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2009 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

I've really liked alpine amps from the get go, and have been pondering purchasing that particular amp.  I'm pretty sure that i'm gonna get it now. 

Yeah, those dashes have all sorts of room to hide stuff, about the only thing I like about Ford designs. 

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
DYohn 
Posted: March 05, 2009 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
Like I said, nothing really exciting, just a basic install. The amp is behind the dash kit pocket and over the climate control.
small installs are fun too. - Last Post -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic