icon

white noise coming from subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trae08 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ok well i don't have any pictures saved on my computer but if they will help theirs a few pictures of the stereo equipment on this site.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2621467
Anyway in my step dads car there is a hissing / white noise type noise coming from the sub box, not sure from which sub its coming from exactly but Ive tried everything i can think of without opening the box.   Its not alternator whine and i am out of ideas, The noise stays the same volume no matter how loud the music is so if you turn up the volume you cant here it. And i unplugged the sub pre amp outputs and it still made the same noise.    Not sure if it is coming from one sub or all four. Depending on what you guys say i was gonna unhook all the subs from the amps and hook up 1 at a time to see if its all four or just one.
trae08 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, make model of vehicle is 2006 hummer 2 and all the stereo stuff was installed in 2006 so it was probably manufactured in 2005.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
ALL amplifiers will hiss. If it is very low level, like so low that you have to put your ear right to the speaker (or close to it, even up to a foot or so away) to hear it, that's perfectly normal. Don't worry ablout it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 07, 2009 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
And to add to Haem's statement.  There is no way that it is a woofer making the noise.  It has to be the amp.  if it is a multiple channel amp, the noise may be coming from only one woofer, but the woofer is not capable of making the noise.
trae08 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
Well it only started doing it around December 08. And when you say the amps are making that noise you mean the amps themselves or the amps are causing the subs to make the noise? Cause Ive checked all the wiring on the amps while it was running and they were not making any noise.
Also its not quite enough for me to put my ear to the sub to hear,   i can hear it from the driver seat and even standing outside the vehicle.
If its normal then why would it have only started doing it last year when we've had it sense o06
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like either the amp or HU is defective, or you have developed a ground loop.  Make sure your ground return resistance is good first.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
Describe the noise. Is it a constant, unchanging hissssssss, or is it a buzz that changes pitch with engine RPMs? A hiss, if it's that loud, and is present with all inputs diconnected, would indicate to me that the amplifier is bad, and needs repair or replacement.
The "new" changing buzz with or without RCA cables connected, would be an installation issue.
Whichever it is, I am sure that we can't help you without a correct description of the noise first, which we do not have.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a gain control on the amplifier?   Have you tried turning it down all the way to see if the noise goes away?
trae08 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2009 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
Alright well unfortunately the problem wasn't nothing anyone suggested. i unhooked both subs from the top amp and noticed the noise went away which told me the problem was with the top amp, So i unmounted the amp and took the top cover off as i was doing that i heard something on the inside which sounded like a screw or something that came unscrewed but turns out it was this.
1st picture is the busted mosfet
2nd picture is the piece that busted off
3rd is the entire amp without the cover plate
I have another question, i know this is repairable but what is the average cost for something like this?
white noise coming from subs? -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Posted: March 14, 2009 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
Well, SOMETHING took that device out. I bet cash it's not going to be as simple as just replacing the device.
How much? Who knows...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic