icon

hey guys, remote start, tach signal

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flybyu 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 4:44 AM / IP Logged  
 A friend and i are having some custom remote start units made for our needs. We had to tell them the frequency (hz) range we needed for tach wire shutoff. Thats a range of 10hz and 30hz. here is the problem were having now, the unit starts the vehicle as it should and shuts down at the right rpm like it should. But if the vehicle fires and dies, the unit will try again and starts the vehicle the second time and runs for 30 sec and shuts off and never tries again. It's something to do with the tach wire. were using an injector as a signal. Could on the restart of the vehicle the injector go into a duty cycle producing hz and going above are tach shutoff.  
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  

You would be best off using a frequency meter to verify the perameters and operation of the fuel injectors.  Most lower end Craftsman meters will read frequency (the $30 ones) and all higher end meters should read frequency.

Who is making the custom units?  Have you verified with them that the restart function was tested and verified to work?

Kevin Pierson
loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Shouldn't you could keep to the original thread with this post?

Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like bad tach to me. Are you on injector 1? Should be closest to the timing belt.

"dont ground out!"
flybyu 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
What we think is happening is the tach sensing software is not resetting itself and as soon as it starts on the second attempt it doubles and shuts it off for overreving. What do you think? so we have to wait another 2 weeks for more prototypes.
KPierson 
Posted: March 10, 2009 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  

Have you verified the tach signal is not changing with a meter?  Thatt will the only way to really know what is going on.

What exactly is your application and why did you have to have custom modules made?

Kevin Pierson
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: March 10, 2009 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
I suppose the best thing you'll want to do is contact your manufacturer and ask them how the circuit is supposed to work, and if they have any ideas why it's behaving incorrectly.
In the meantime, can you find another tach source to try? You said you were using an injector.
Try a coil pack, or even a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor. Pretty much anything that makes a pulse while the engine is rotating would be worth a try.
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Like the other guys, I'm very curious about what you're doing too. Are you getting just a few remote starters for some kind of special vehicle of your own............or are these something you're going to be reselling?
If you're a manufacturer or distributor or anything like that, I'm always looking for new opportunties, beta testing, and so forth. Professional installer with nearly ten years' experience, particularly in installing remote starters.
wiringfool 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
here is some food for thought I have fooled remote starters on the bench to think its getting a tach signal with this info you should be able to determine the frequency I have used a signal function generator and adjust to approx 3volt a.c. voltage and play around you'll get it
wiringfool eieioztztzt
flybyu 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

Chris Luongo wrote:
I suppose the best thing you'll want to do is contact your manufacturer and ask them how the circuit is supposed to work, and if they have any ideas why it's behaving incorrectly.
In the meantime, can you find another tach source to try? You said you were using an injector.
Try a coil pack, or even a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor. Pretty much anything that makes a pulse while the engine is rotating would be worth a try.
Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.
Like the other guys, I'm very curious about what you're doing too. Are you getting just a few remote starters for some kind of special vehicle of your own............or are these something you're going to be reselling?
If you're a manufacturer or distributor or anything like that, I'm always looking for new opportunties, beta testing, and so forth. Professional installer with nearly ten years' experience, particularly in installing remote starters.

These are actually for snowmobiles. and they have coil on plugs, so very difficult to get good tach source there 

KPierson 
Posted: March 13, 2009 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

With a coil on plug system you have options - you can grab a tach at each coil, at a fuel injector, or at the crank angle sensor.  With your frequency range though the crank angle sensor would be out, but you should still be able to use a coil or a fuel injector.

So why again were the units custom programmed?  11hz is the range that many, many vehicles idle at.  Were you just looking for a more fitting shutdown frequency?

Kevin Pierson
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic