icon

how to modify built in car phone jack

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ptb123 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2009 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
2000 Lincoln LS, Motorola car phone in armrest but it is analog. Would like to know if can modify coaxial plug in armrest to utilize built in features as much as possible for any current digital phone. I've got the phone in attic and use the armrest as a glove box.
jeffwhiteman 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
The coax cable is only for the external antenna hookup. if you dig deeper under the console you will find another cable. this is what you will need to interface a handsfree kit with the radio. I dont have the pinout but someone else here may. an easier way would be to get a bluetooth handsfree kit and a radio integration harness from a company called cell-site. this harness plugs in to the factory radio and allows you to mute it during a call, hear audio thru the factory speakers, and controll it with your steering controlls. This harness is relatively inexpensive, and the radio is a snap to access. If they wont sell to you,(i am pretty sure they will) PM me and I can get one for you.
ptb123 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Jeff. The Lincoln people basically said, "No way, you are just surely outta luck." I was so sorry to see this nice setup just going to waste. I will check with the cell-site folks. So, maybe with some of my time (cheep) and maybe $50 I should be able to get this thing back to doing what it was designed to do?
If I understand you correctly, I should be able to with their kit use the factory-installed setup with my cell phone pretty much as it was planned. I'm assuming that I can junk my big analog phone, delete the antenna from the rear window, and just plug my current cell phone into whatever adapter they sell me. The bluetooth parts are for the car, right? I don't have to wear the Startrek headpiece. Also, if I remove that antenna on rear window does it require anything special to fill hole or must a glass shop do that work?
Sorry for the nitnoys but I had assumed this was a dead issue with a nice bit of wasted dinosaur equipment.
Thank you very much for the prompt response . I got to this site through Ranger-Forums.com Two very nice sites!
jeffwhiteman 
Copper - Posts: 124
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry, I was just checking back, I didnt realize you had responded.
The bluetooth kit will be integrated into the factory radio via the cell-site harness. You will not need anything else to "plug in" The antenna is a wireless connection through the glass. If you put a pair of channel locks on the base and carefully twist, it will come off.
stealthone 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2009 at 5:35 AM / IP Logged  
Jeff,
One other note, you will probably have to change the antenna as most analog phones did not operate in the 1800-1900 mhz range. You will need an antenna that operates in both the 800-900 mhz and 1800-1900mhz ranges (they refer to them as dual band).
cyrus12009 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2009 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  
Hey I also tried that but this does not work :(

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic