icon

'05 accord, jl amp under back seat?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
toolman2674 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX coupe and am wondering about installing the amp under the back seat. I have a JL Audio 500/5 and am not sure if it will overheat installed there. I have also thought about installing it under the rear deck which I know would be better for more airflow but I also have a Cleensweep (I'm sure it will be fine anywhere) and a cap (has to go in the trunk) to install and only have so much space for everything. I am trying to keep this as clean and stealthy as possible. I am putting Jl C5's in the front and rear and either a 10W3 or TW5 (12" when it hits the market) in the trunk on the side out of the way so if anyone has any sub box ideas those would be great too. The last amps I ran were Kenwood KAC (8,9 and 1021) about 15 years ago which ran HOT but never would shut off. Any help or insight would be great. Thanks, Jon
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Any amp under your seat is not such a good idea!
toolman2674 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
I kinda already knew that I guess but didn't want to admit it to myself. I pulled the backseat up today and there is not only barely enough room for the Cleensweep but there is NO way I can get a fan mounted anywhere to push air across it. I do thank you for the reply. Now I'll just have to figure out how to mount the amp and a cap to the underside of the rear package tray. Thanks again for the reply, Jon.
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
you could easily mount the amp and clean sweep on the back of the back seat. that way you still have your trunk space.  i'm not sure if they fold down but if they dont and you still wanna keep things out of sight you could build a box type deal and carpet that to match the trunk color. just put a couple fans on the top or bottom to get the air moving aorund there and you wouldn't see anything from looking in through the back.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
ca$ino 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 1:38 AM / IP Logged  
i personally don't see anything wrong with an underseat install for an amp, but that's just me, with as long as you've got clearance, and airflow, there should be no probs. I've had couple amps, some mounted in truck, a couple on the box, and a couple under the seat, no probs with any of them.
But that's just my personal experience, others' opinions may differ
Look twice, think thrice, 1 splice/ 1 slice!
This is a phrase i came up with and something i will now live by.
stang351w 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
there is nothing wrong with a underseat mounting. as long as there's room for the amp to have air flow to cool it down. in this case however. there is no room. the foam underside of the seat would be pretty much on top and limiting any and all airflow to the amp.
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 12, 2009 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

stang351w wrote:
there is nothing wrong with a underseat mounting. as long as there's room for the amp to have air flow to cool it down. in this case however. there is no room. the foam underside of the seat would be pretty much on top and limiting any and all airflow to the amp.

THEN.... have a passenger!

stang351w 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

i thought of putting that...but i figured the point was made and commen sence takes over from there lol

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
toolman2674 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Actually the passenger part would never enter into the equation. The only time anyone has ever been in the back seat was me when I replaced the rear speakers. I may end up with the cleensweep under the back seat depending on how much room I do or dont have left on the rack I'm building to go under the rear deck once I get the amp and cap mounted.The back seat does fold down and I had thought about flushing the amp and cleen sweep into the back seat with just the cap under the rear deck but when I sell the car I'd have to leave the stuff or replace the back seat. I also dont want to mount anything to the back seat cause I think that looks a little tacky just hanging out there and I do fold the back seats down. I just want to keep this as clean and out of site as possible so I am open to any and all suggestions anyone has. Thanks, Jon

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic