icon

remote starter on 2005 duramax

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jen1110bill 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

i just installed an avistart model #5303 (4400 is old model#) on a 2005 chevy silverado 2500hd with the duramax and needed some info.,

1st     i've read multiple post's on this site and others about the vehicles wiring and have not seen anything about hooking up the wire from alarm system for nuetral safety, do i really need this hooked up.

2nd    i hooked the wait to start wire to pin a2 on gauge cluster with a diode as per dei's manual but the more i read about it i think it may need a relay to hook it up. is this correct. also noticed i got a ses light.

3rd     the wire from alarm system thats supposed to goto the hood pin switch, if i choose not to use this do i just ground the wire or just leave it unhooked?

any help is greatly appericated

bill

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

1. is the truck a standard or automatic transmission?

2. try using the programmable wait to start feature rather than the wire that connects to the wait to start light.

3. do not try to "not use" the hood pin switch. this is a safety feature, you need it. install the hood pin switch.

jen1110bill 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

i'm sorry its an automatic trans, and also i know i need a door lock module my question is dei's part # 457gw is this for the door lock circuit and passlock circuit or just door locks?

thanks again for any help and i'll make sure the hood pin switch gets installed i know it was probally a stupid question.

bill

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

if its an auto, just connect the neutral safety wire to ground.

457gw will do passlock and also doorlocks.

jen1110bill 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
ok thank you very much ckeeler, this is the first diesel i've put a remote starter on and want to make sure everything is perfect
arhunter 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2009 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  
The duramax glo plugs are so fast you don't even need to use the wait to start.   On my 2005 duramax I set it up as a gas engine and it works fine.   The glo plug light is out before the remote start engages.
shaip99 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2009 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
arhunter wrote:
The duramax glo plugs are so fast you don't even need to use the wait to start.   On my 2005 duramax I set it up as a gas engine and it works fine.   The glo plug light is out before the remote start engages.
That is great inside the bay when it's warm but if you live in colder climate you risk serious damage to the vehicle set up for at least a ten second delay I've seen the light stay on for almost twenty seconds in cold temperatures
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd
all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive
music."-Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc.
arhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2009 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

shaip99 wrote:
arhunter wrote:
That is great inside the bay when it's warm but if you live in colder climate you risk serious damage to the vehicle set up for at least a ten second delay I've seen the light stay on for almost twenty seconds in cold temperatures

For the climate where I live it is fine.   The Duramax has a fast glo plug system (about 3 seconds), even when the temp is in the teens the wait to start light is out before the remote start engages.   My remote start has about a 4 second delay before the starter engages so this is more than enough time for the glo plugs.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2009 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
arhunter wrote:

For the climate where I live it is fine.   The Duramax has a fast glo plug system (about 3 seconds), even when the temp is in the teens the wait to start light is out before the remote start engages.   My remote start has about a 4 second delay before the starter engages so this is more than enough time for the glo plugs.

if i remember right from the thread you started awhile back when you installed your remote start, you installed an Omega product of some sort. for the original poster i would like to add that Omega has one of the longest delays of almost any remote starter i have seen (not using wait to start just in standard mode). the avistart will not wait that long to start, the avistart tries to crank much sooner.

arhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2009 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:
arhunter wrote:

if i remember right from the thread you started awhile back when you installed your remote start, you installed an Omega product of some sort. for the original poster i would like to add that Omega has one of the longest delays of almost any remote starter i have seen (not using wait to start just in standard mode). the avistart will not wait that long to start, the avistart tries to crank much sooner

Yes, I installed an Omega unit in my son's truck.   The one I installed a couple of years ago in my Duramax is a Crimestopper 1905 and it does have about 4 seconds delay before starter engagement.    From what I have read about the Duramax glo plugs, they are supposed to be finished in 3 seconds or less, so I guess if your remote start is faster than this you might need to use the wait to start signal.   

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic