icon

Not getting enough bass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2003 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
“you have read many of my posts, especially those in regards to the use of a capacitor, where it should and shouldnt be used, then you should understand what I am saying here...this is your FIRST post in response to this guys problem, and from the way I read it, you are insinuating that a capacitor is a MUST for EVERY system”
I agree with you that a capacitor might not necessary be the best answer for doombious situation. Given some time I was able to give him a remedy options to his problem when I had a chance to see more details on his later post. My suggestions for doombious to get a capacitor are drawn on my own experience with the two amplifiers that he is using. A capacitor remedy the problem which I had. That is why I suggest it. If you had read my post, then you should have known that I didn’t get the luxury like you and see further details of his problem. I answer, as it was a suggestion base on my own experiences. You on the other hand ran your remarks before you allow me to make further suggestions.   Have you not read my signature statement? “ Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. “. Patient, is one of your weakness if you want me to point that out to you. So, in the future think first before you say something to insult someone’s comment and intelligence.
”I dont always mean to sound condescending or disrespectful, but sometimes it takes that in order to grab someones attention...I got yours here, and hope that you will take this into consideration before you go and post what I just quoted you saying automatically after someone says they are having power issues...”
Yes, you did get my attention. You got my attention way before all this posting when you had a run in with another member in this forum. You were very arrogant in your post and have very little respect for someone else’s comment if you ask me. It’s fine with me to be sarcastic and funny, but don’t get confuse and carry away with insults. I don’t mind being corrected if I am wrong. I’ve been wrong so many times on car audio stuff as well as many other things in my life that I have stop counting. If you correct me I will be very grateful for it, but if you insult my intelligent that is the last straw that breaks the camels back.
If you want to get my attention speak with politeness, intelligence and respect. There are a few people in this forum like VELOCITY MOTOR, ESMITH69 and a few other that will always get my attention on their posting. They have my utmost respect. I have learned a lot from them and am still continuously learning from them. You should read a few of VELOCITY MOTOR OR ESMITH69 REPLY POSTING, perhaps you might learn something from them with the way they speak on their reply to others.
Again, I will repeat what I said to you before I ended off on my last post. You are an intelligent young man with a lot knowledge and skill that is very helpful to other in the forum as well as to myself.    Speak politely and showcase your skill, it’s a terrible thing to waste.
To end this note, we agree and disagree in some of our opinions. Let’s leave it at that. In my opinion, we can continue with this discussion for a very long time since there are many different variable in place to achieve the same result. Obviously, we have differences in our ideas and opinions I hope you will learned to respect mine just as I learned to respect yours.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Not getting enough bass - Page 3 -- posted image.
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
noted and agreed...
doombious 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
I wired the subs in parallel and put them on one channel. Is that an ok way to do it? If I bridge it, won't it drop to 1ohm? My subs definetly like this new wiring much better. I did some more adjusting of the gains and it is sounding pretty good.  It's still not right though. I probably could use an equalizer. I have been thinking of getting a new HU with 3 outs. If I get a new HU with 4 or 5v output will this mean I will have to adjust my gains again to match it? What do I look for in an equalizer? I thank all of you for your help.
1nicemustang 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
ahhhhhhh men to dat brothamanNot getting enough bass - Page 3 -- posted image.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
“I wired the subs in parallel and put them on one channel. Is that an ok way to do it? If I bridge it, won't it drop to 1ohm?”
No that is not the correct to do it, the American Legacy amp that you got won’t be able to handle the load impedance when it is bridge.    The sub that you have has a 4-ohm impedance. If you wire them in parallel you will get a 2 ohm load not a 1 ohm load, meaning you are joining the two negative and two positive speaker wires together on the two sub.
“I have been thinking of getting a new HU with 3 outs. If I get a new HU with 4 or 5v output will this mean I will have to adjust my gains again to match it? What do I look for in an equalizer?”
Yes, you would need to set your gain again in order to match up the signal that is going into your amp from your new HU. If you set the gain up too high the sound will distort when you turn up the volume on your HU.   To correct this, turn your HU to full volume and adjust the gain up slowly on your amp to the point where you hear distortion in your speakers, then turn down the gain on your amp to the point where the distortion has gone away. You are done adjusting at this point. Here is the link.
How to Choose an Equalizer
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Not getting enough bass - Page 3 -- posted image.
blaksaga 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

So this is what you have:

2002 Ford zx2 - Pioneer 45x4 HU 2v output - Coustic 200w 4ch amp on HPF - 6.5 Blaupunkt Graphites in front - 5x7 Kove in rear - American Legacy 600w 2ch on LPF - 2 10" Pioneer 500w 250rms subs in sealed enclosure

I take it you are sending the 600w american legacy to the 2 pioneer subs?  If so, they are drastically underpowered.  A legacy 600w amp probably puts out less than 100x2rms.  You need something that can deliver 250x2rms.

As for capacitors.  Capacitors WILL NOT create more strain on the alternator(they may not help much either).  They WILL help the amplifier draw power faster on those powergreedy bass notes.  The cap will draw power at a steadier pace than the amp, which will help stop lights from dimming...however, if your lights ARE dimming, get a high amp alternator or else you are eventually gonna fry your existing alternator!

ggrizzle 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2003 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Amist all of this. Hook your speakers back in stereo. Listen to something with some deep bass, turn it up pretty loud. Now adjust your balance to one speaker. If you get more bass out of one speaker than two. Your speakers are out of phase. Meaning one of them is not hooked up right. You can hook them up pos. to pos. and neg. to neg. or they will even work hooked up pos. to neg. and neg. to pos. but if one is hooked up one way and the other is hooked up the other way then they won't sound good. Give it a try and see what that does. Good luck!!!!!!
g.g.
doombious 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
Both speakers are putting out evenly. I'm getting a little confused on the sub/amp. I wrote earlier that I wired them in parallel. That drops it to a 2ohm load. Now since my amp is 2ohm stable I did not bridge it because from what I've read that would drop it to 1ohm. So I wired it to one channel. So I was wondering if this was an ok way to do that. I'm also wondering what RMS power is going to each speaker now. If anyone can help on that, this is what I know... 100Wx2 rms@4ohms...150Wx2 rms@2ohms...so if I'm only using one channel would that mean each sub is getting 300rms?    [:errr:]
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
the amp just reads impedance, it doesnt create it...so when you wire 2 single voice coil 4 ohm subs to it, it will see 2ohms either way...you are just running in 2 ohm stereo now, you want to bridge it so you have 2 ohm mono, thus getting sa much power out of the amp as you can without cooking it...
bridging will not affect the impedance whatsoever...so just hook up the positive sub lead to the left positive on the amp and the negative sub lead to the right negative on the amp and enjoy your equipment...
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2003 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  
Big Purds wrote:
the amp just reads impedance, it doesnt create it...so when you wire 2 single voice coil 4 ohm subs to it ***edit in parallel /end edit***, it will see 2ohms either way...you are just running in 2 ohm stereo now, you want to bridge it so you have 2 ohm mono, thus getting sa much power out of the amp as you can without cooking it...
bridging will not affect the impedance whatsoever...so just hook up the positive sub lead to the left positive on the amp and the negative sub lead to the right negative on the amp and enjoy your equipment...
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic