icon

what 10s should i buy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scotty17509 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2009 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

So my 10w7 blew the other day, so now i am in need of a new 10. I have a 1000/1 JL amp, and have two boxes, that are 1.3 cubic feet airspace sealed. So I am looking for something that will fit my boxes. I couple of my friends have sugested the RE audio, SEs. And i Also have been looking at a few of the FI audio and elemental designs subs.

I also am contemplating on having my w7 refurbished, Jl says they can do it for around 300 bucks.

Anybody have any sugestions?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2009 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, before you spend your $ on flea market ED gear or a net brand of the month that hopefully will survive the economic downturn, get your JL reconed as it is a incredible sub.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ccityroadshop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2009 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
i say 300 bucks is a rip off to get it refurbed, you can buy a new one for not much more than that, are you wanting to keep a good SQ sub? if so then ur JL is a good bet to stay with but i like my kappa perfect, though i dont believe it would work well with your amp or your box
mustang GT convertible with lots of performance mods... Alpine M500 amp with sealed enclosure, 10 inch kappa perfect, clarion cz500 head unit, kicker ks speakers all around
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2009 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  

I think i would try the Fi Q. It is less than the recone of the JL, handle more power and if you dont like it you can always find someone to buy it off youtube. Thanks to the Steve Meade followers for almost what you paid and recone the JL then.

what 10s should i buy -- posted image.
scotty17509 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2009 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input, I really did like my W7. I can find a new one on ebay for right around 400, so i dont think im going to bother fixing my current one. If i do stick with JL.

As for the FI Q, has anybody heard them?

Also as forbidden pointed out, before my friends mentioning them i had never heard of either FI or ED. So i really dont want to buy an outdated POS.

ca$ino 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
I'd have to agree with roadshop, $300 is a lot for a refurb, i'd just by brand new for performance, and possibly get it refurbed later as a back up maybe?
Look twice, think thrice, 1 splice/ 1 slice!
This is a phrase i came up with and something i will now live by.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  
Nothing wrong with FI, special ED though..... different story...
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
i like the W7 too, but the Fi Q and the RE SX are good subs too.
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Fi is a newer brand. Still has not really reached the main stream as a whole. The BTL is a very capable SPL sub. Mike Bartels used them to break 180db and i believe still holds the Usaci WR. The Fi Q is there SQ sub. I have heard many great things of them. The down side IMO is you must buy them from Fi's website so when it comes to replacement/warrenty issues if they come you will be out shipping. Where a dealer product you can take it back to them. But even with that you are getting it right from the source and not paying a 3rd party marked up price.
what 10s should i buy -- posted image.
scotty17509 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2009 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

After checking out FI's Qs I am starting to think the Q12 would fit my needs. For a sealed box they recomend .8-1.5 cuft. These would fit my boxes really well.

You said these are SQ subs, to clarify you mean Sound Quality right? I am looking for a sub that will be good and loud yet still have the quality. My W7, i had no complaints. But i sure do like $244 from the online store vs $400 on Ebay. Especially when im buying two. Another thing im curious about, is they say the Q12 holds 1000 watts rms, would my JL 1000/1 power TWO of them to their capabilities?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic