icon

sub preformance decline w/ new amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
3rdcoasttx 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  

--95' oldsmobile*ninety-eight regency-- pioneer deh-2000mp (head)*hifonics 1610d 1600w*(2)kicker-cvr's(4-ohm)

i originally had this same set-up listed above but with a planetaudio 900vd 850w now with my old set up i could have the amp control all the way down, my volume at 43, and the subs would hit effectively.  I would then be able to turn my amp control to between 50 to 75% and have even more effect obviously. Now i replace the amp with a new hifionics amp and (2) new cvr's switched out and it does not hit as hard as before. So i adjust the bass eq on the amp a bit retry and it now hits harder then the old amp but i have to turn my amp control all the way up and volume at 46 to acheive this. i am very green to the scene but from the little i think i know i believe i just need minor adjustments to have it right. The (2) subs are wired for (4ohm). any and all is appreciated thanks

3rdcoasttx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
i adjusted my phase, sub sonic, bass eq, and input and it works fine now i still have to turn my amp contorl all the way up i just felt that should not have been necessary but i guess that is how it is. This hifonics amp does not seem to be as powerful as i thought, maybe it is the subs, a voice coil (dual) may have went out but they are new. ill just deal with it till i get more change and try again.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
did you use the same box for your old subs as your new CVRs? those kickers like a lot of airspace to work their best so depending on how the box is made it might be the cause of your lost output, as far as amps go, power is power.
3rdcoasttx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
i did use the same box but they are also the same subs as the old ones i had, just a fresh pair out the box, my whole aggrivation right now is that i bought this hifonics 1610d that states (550w @ 4ohms) vs. my old amp planet audio 900d (375w @ 4ohms) yet i need more volume at the head and my amp control turned to 100 for it to preform how i feel it should but even then it seems my planet audio pushed them harder than this hifonics amp and i just dont understand why or what is wrong?
3rdcoasttx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

and the box is just like any standard box you would get at a shop or flea market for two twelves just a guess but around

4.5L x 2.5W x 2H give or take a bit

3rdcoasttx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

i read up on some resources and found the problem, i noticed certain notes were not being hit while others were and in reading i found it was my subsonic and phase that needed adjustment. a few secs of tuning with a jam on at the amp and all is gold problem solved. thanks

flogger11 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
3rdcoasttx wrote:

and the box is just like any standard box you would get at a shop or flea market for two twelves just a guess but around

4.5L x 2.5W x 2H give or take a bit

I dont think you realise just how important the proper box size is. 

3rdcoasttx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
im not educated to that point with it , this weekend i had the trunk up with the music on and was noticeing that on some notes it appears that it is willing and able to hit them but like it just cant as if something is holding it back. is this the case? box size? i mostly listen to country rap tunes or southern rap what ever you wish and its bass lines that get it. Im new to the audio in the fact that now i try to work it myself and not relie on shops to tyry and sell me a dream. But im open minded so if you wish shed some light
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
when you replaced the subs, were they the exact same subs? or just a newer model of the same line of sub? if the subs are a newer model, it is possible that even though the subs have the same name, they could have been designed a little bit differently that would make them not work as well in the same box. just a thought.
3rdcoasttx 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 1:24 PM / IP Logged  

they were the exact same, as i have learned more to audio and sound and checkin into my problem i found that the whole lost of preformance came from the battery and i have replaced it brand new. The amp works fine and really i think the box is sufficent although i am not educated on boxes size, ported or sealed wood or plexi etc. at the end of the day with the new set-up i get an extra 87.5 watts, if the hifonics is giving a true 550w @ 4-OHM, to each of the (2) twelves. i assume that is not a lot but i do see a significant increase in power hit and better tightness in quality sound to the bass.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic