icon

04 bonneville ignition switch wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phree_refill 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone have any experience working on 2000-2005 Bonnevilles? I'm trying to put a basic remote start on my friends car but i'm having a hard time getting at the ignition switch wires. We took the radio out and you can get a better view at them but still not good enough to splice into them. Does anyone know how to get the ignition switch assembly out so that we can get to the wires easier? There were two screws holding the ignition switch assembly to the dash which we took out and it allowed the ignition switch assembly to wiggle around but we couldn't get it wiggled out of the dash opening and into the space where the radio was at.

Also..... the starter, ignition 1, ignition 2, and accesory wires are said to be located in the ignition switch harness; that obviously makes sense because that is where they are on most any vehicle. The only thing i wasn't sure about was all the wires i saw coming off the ignition switch looked to be no bigger than 18 gauge wires. Can anyone that  has possibly done a remote starter install on a 2000-2005 series bonneville confirm this?

sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
The wires are a pain to get to, but you are in the right area. There are 2 plugs (white and black) in the ignition switch. You can access these through the hole for the radio. You may need to trim a small amount of dash plastic from the driver's side of the cavity to allow more access to the wires. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the ignition switch in and rotate it to use a small screw driver to release the 2 plug retainers. This will allow more room to make your connections. The wires are only 18 gauge and there are duplicates. Use a volt meter to verify your wires. If my memory is correct, there are a few orange wires and some are battery, while others are accessory wires for the HVAC system. You may wish to locate a better power source for the battery wires.
sparky
sprek 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  

The easiest way is to pull the ignition switch out

I cant quite remember where it is at in the car maybe bottom left but there is a cylinder release tab in the ignition switch itself .  Look at arrow in picture.

04 bonneville ignition switch wires - Last Post -- posted image.

If you put the key in the ignition turn it about half way and push in the bronze colored tab it will release the key cylinder then you can remove the ignition switch itself and work with the wires fairly easy. I used t-taps because they are low current wires to begin with but some people dont like them

sprek 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

When I did mine the DEI web site said to power all remote start connections from battery because the 12v supply at switch is low current

phree_refill 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, thanks so much Sparkie and Sprek. Both posts help a lot!     Yes i have read that power connections should be made at the battery rather than in the ignition switch harness. I have already ran 12 gauge wire from the battery through the firewall into the cab. I put a fuse holder about 6 inches from the battery. I had also planned to just use T-taps as, once again, the wires coming off the ignition switch didn't seem to be that big anyways. T-taps will be much more convenient. 

The hardest part now will be just identifying which wires are for the passkey 3 system and which ones are the ignition 1 and ignition 2. The PK3 system has 1 wire that  i need that is the same color as the ignition one or ignition 2 (according to the DEI 555G PK3 imobilizer bypass module). Does anyone know which pin in the wiring harness coming off of the ignition switch that the PK3 wires are in? I'll test regardless but if i know where i should be looking it will speed up the process.

sprek 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  

I did my remote start in 2003 so it has been a while the bypass I used then was just basically a spare key hidden with an antenna loop so I didnt have to get into any of the pk3 wires. I do know that the wires shown in the picture above are for the pk3 antenna. If that helps

Also I would recommend using one of the new xpress kit modules if you are trying to add keyless or trunk pop. I had to run wires all over the car to do it when I did mine I dont recall a interface module being available then

sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
The bypass module is the best way to go. Depending on which one you get, it can do the Passkey III interface, the door locks, trunk release and alarm interface. Please don't use T-tap quick connectors. They are junk and will only lead to problems. If you take your time you will be able to properly splice and solder your wires. If it is your vehicle, it is worth the time. Do it right the first time.
sparky
phree_refill 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  

sparkie wrote:
Please don't use T-tap quick connectors. They are junk and will only lead to problems. If you take your time you will be able to properly splice and solder your wires. If it is your vehicle, it is worth the time. Do it right the first time.

Sparkie, I have always heard people say not to use quick connectors but noone is yet to actually explain to my why. How exactly will they lead to problems? if they fail, what causes them to fail?

loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  

Vibration, oxidation, and thermo/mechanical stress are some reasons, that can cause the electrical contact to diminish or fail.

Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
sparkie 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
T-taps do not create a proper connection from one wire to another. They use a metal blade to scrape through the wire insulation and contact the strands of wire inside. This does not afford a connection that will properly conduct current, it will produce a voltage drop across the connection and are usually prone to being intermittent. In todays vehicles, many circuits are very sensitive to changes in voltage and these t-taps create problems. Where I come from, you must be licensed to work on vehicle electrical systems. Using T-taps is not allowed. If any tech that works for me uses them, they will be told to either remove the taps or themselves. Every system is only as good as the installer. I have seen more problems created by bad connections than by bad product. Do it right the first time and you will never have to fix it.
sparky

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic