icon

2007 tacoma v6, remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
briangp 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Purchased a Python 1400XP when Circuit City was selling out for real cheap. New to the forum here, but not new to electricity. I know 2005 and up should all be the same but does anyone have a cheat sheet for my truck? I was suggested the PKALL bypass module, but I don't know much about interfacing it. I saw the 2005 thread on here suggested 555u. Inputs are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

PKALL works ok but i do hate it. The programming needs to be followed to a tee or it will not work and once it is programmed wrong it's no good anymore as they aren't reprogrammable. Don't plug it in until your ready to program. You can use a 555U or 556U if you don't mind loosing the valet key, it is a much cheaper bypass to purchase and is very reliable. If you want to keep your key, i like the Idatalink units. There are a few that will work, just pick the cheapest one as they all give you the same features on your truck. Go to www.idatalink.com

As for wiring, go above to Vehicle Wiring and find any Taco from 95 and up.

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
ajstetler 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2009 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have had no problems with the PKALL on any vehicle that it is compatible with. I like to use them because the 556U requires you to give up a spare, and you've got a key to your car just chilling up in the dash. There is not much to program the PKALL for that vehicle-make all connections, plug in bypass, insert key in ignition, that's it. As far as cost, it is only about $30 more when an extra ignition key can cost $75 or more. To each his own...
Big Al
briangp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Alright, I think I will stick with PKALL for now, the price is right and it keeps me from mixing brands. The 555u is still an option IMO since the valet key is just laying around somewhere, I only have doubts because I read a thread at https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~46111 saying someone had issues with it, but I believe its probably related to their R/S system.
I'm what you would call an Aviation Electrician, I have the supplies that I will need, chances are all my connections will be Raychem environmental splices. I'm reading through the Python manual and everything seems straight forward when put together with the wiring guides on here, but theres always reference to resistors and diodes. I see where one of the diodes go, however I don't see any other references for resistors required in this wiring.   Also, when I run wires I plan on matching the wire guage, but (is it me or?) does the starter wire in the satelite relay seem small? It refers to connecting it at the motor, but I think I'd feel safer connecting at the solenoid. Any ideas and input for these concerns???
Thanks again for your input guys, if this gets to be too much of a PITA I might just take it in, I hate paying for labor though when Electrical theory is my life, LoL
ajstetler 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  
No resistors needed, if it's also an alarm (can't remember if it is), diode isolate door triggers, and just grab starter at the ignition harness. Not necessary to go to the starter.
Big Al
briangp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
it seems you can't edit your posts here :(
Also whats the 5wi in the polarity column of the wiring sheet?
briangp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  
ajstetler wrote:
No resistors needed, if it's also an alarm (can't remember if it is), diode isolate door triggers, and just grab starter at the ignition harness. Not necessary to go to the starter.
Oh okay, duh, makes sense now.   The kit is not an alarm, but it does have keyless entry, which will have to work with the stock keyless entry I hope.   From what I've read it shouldn't be an issue, except for when the vehicle is started, some wiring issues prevent the doors from unlocking.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2009 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

This not an issue for you. Toyota factory keyless entry doesn't work when you use a remote start, which you aren't doing. Your lock and unlock wires on your RS go directly to the drivers kick panel and attach to the GREEN/ black and purple wires coming in from the door harness. Do this and your new keyless will work all the time. Also, your Python should have a second unlock wire on a different plug. Connect this to the GREEN/ black also to make the passenger door unlock the second time you press unlock on the remote.

Your truck has two starter wires and both need to be connected. Both are found at the ignition harness(along with 2 ignition, 1 accessory, and 2 battery wires). If you RS does not have a second starter output you will need a relay to make one for this.

Wires you need to connect to make this work- 2 ignitions, accessory, 2 starters, 12volts(all at the ignition harness), brake wire, park lights(both can be found on the front of the fuse box), lock and unlock, ground, tach wire(found on the OBD2 connector under the dash), PKALL wires as described on page 7.

As far as resistors or diodes, you shouldn't need any...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
briangp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
You do a great job of inspiring confidence in me! LoL
When you break it down, it makes it seem more manageable. I'll probably crack into it on Friday or Saturday. I have another question for you, but I'll PM it. Thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreciate it!
briangp 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Never mind, your inbox is full. Haha.   Mike, just in case I run into any serious issues, can I get your #? You can PM it to me.   I don't foresee actually having to, but just in case, I don't want to leave my truck inop for more than a day.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic