icon

10 sub with epicenter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dred 
Copper - Posts: 158
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys i have a pioneer tws256c 10" 800 watts 350 RMS sub woofer and wants to put an epicenter in my ride. What will the epicenter do for the quality of my bass? will it play Lower notes or hit harder. One more thing how do i hook it up into the sound system?
dre
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
it hooks up through the RCAs going from the radio to the amp. it goes between the radio and the amp. what kind of radio do you have now and why do you want to get an epicenter? because chances are it would lead to the destruction of that sub
lovingparis 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2009 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

I see a good deal of info about the epicenter, but I have yet see anyone clearly explain what it does. Most specifically in older music the recording process involved eliminating the bottom harmonic to more easily accommodate the rest of the signal. What the epicenter does is look for harmonics [a bass note of 50hz will resonate at harmonics of 100hz, 200hz, 400hz, etc.] of notes that were present in the studio but removed in the recording process. The epicenter generates the 50hz signal when it finds the artifacts matching the higher harmonics.

It is the harmonic resonations that make it sound like bass notes come from tiny speakers like earbuds, there is no reason to waste amplifier power and bandwidth on lower frequencies that are not going to be reproduced by small speakers. When such music is played on a system with adequate low end representation, the results are falsely thin and underpowered. The epicenter IS NOT a bass boost. It often has very minimal effect of modern music that does not use actual instruments. Most impressive results will be had with music. 
A hammer can be used to build or destroy; the epicenter is a tool that most people abuse and they end up using it to destroy instead of restore.
Anyone who condemns a tool because it does damage does not understand how to use the tool. They are why there is a market for safety scissors. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic