icon

horn chirp with remote door lock

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
la mouche 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  

I installed a Autostart AS-1455 on my 2005 Ford F150, works great, starts and stops vehicle and locks and unlocks doors.

One little problem, when I lock the doors, I do not know if they locked since the horn does not chirp. I tried connecting a wire to the dark blue (-) wire to the lock wire from the remote (brown (-)), it works, but it sounds too long. I only want a chirp. Is there a way that I could connect the wires in this fashion, adding something between the remote signal wire (brown (-)) and the horn wire (blue (-)) to minimize the duration of the signal in order to get just a chirp?

Thank you for help, love this forum, helps me a lot.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  

This is exactly what you need.  You can change the value of the capacitor to shorten or lengthen the pulse.   The diagram is good for about 1/2 second pulse.  A 470 Mic capacitor should yield 1/4 second.  330 Mic Capacitor may be more of what you are looking for.  If you need positive output for your horn, simply connect 30 to a constant 12 volt source.

horn chirp with remote door lock -- posted image.

loneranger 
Copper - Posts: 572
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2009 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

Yes. A adjustable/programmable-pulse, ouput circuit would perform the action you require.

Oops. I answered late.

Ideal - cmon dude, add to topics in a useful manner, not stuff that is obvious.
Story - Phzzzt! Hey, what happened?! ... Isn't it obvious?
Moral - Never dismiss the obvious.
la mouche 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2009 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the response, but since my remote start wire already gives a 7/10 of a second pulse negative output, can't I just simply add the capacitor between that wire and the horn negative wire?

I am trying to find the most simple way to connect this. With the factory remote entry, the horn used to chirp only if I pressed many times on lock button. If I pressed only once, it did not chirp.

Thank you

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 19, 2009 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty sure the only thing you can do with off-the-shelf parts like capacitors is extend the pulse, not reduce it.
A DEI 528T, or a PAC TR-7 pulse timer would probably do what you want, at additional cost.
Is there an Autostart unit available with a horn-honk output? And maybe the wires from what you have would just plug in? If there's a way you could just upgrade what you have, that would be the best way.
The only aftermarket unit that I know of that'll beep the horn only if you lock the doors twice, is Compustar. I think the rest of them are going to beep every time you lock.
Another option might just be to use that pulse you already have from your existing unit, and have it flash the headlights, hazards, or high beams. I know you wanted the horn, but maybe some bright lights would be good enough for you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic