icon

which amps and subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maguile 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2009 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I know how to hook up subs/amp/head units and all that. The thing is, I know squat about what kind of amps are good for which subs, and about which sub setups sound the best.
First off, Im looking to upgrade my subs. Right now I have 2 12" pioneer impp (ancient, I know) in a regular box, not ported or sealed. I was wondering if this setup would be good: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10085242&catid=
Now, I have this amp: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10074271&catid=
which I had running the 2 12" pioneer subs, but I blew the amp, sent it away to get fixed. Now, would this amp be okay to run those 2 mtx subs I posted above? Or should I use it for when I get some aftermarket mids/highs, and use a different amp for the subs?
ccityroadshop 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  

welcome i see its your first post, well try to make those hyperlinks so we dont have to manualy type out those websites, or just post the models of the subs and amps, also what is a regular box?

mustang GT convertible with lots of performance mods... Alpine M500 amp with sealed enclosure, 10 inch kappa perfect, clarion cz500 head unit, kicker ks speakers all around
maguile 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
By regular box, its just a carpeted wooden one, with room for 2 12" subs, no ports or anything else.
Dont know much about the specs of my current subs since they dont make them anymore, all I know is they are apparently rated at 450 watts each.
The specs for my amp are on that link that I posted though, just want to know if a 4 channel would be better for mids/highs and a 2 channel better for subs, or if it even matters. Same with the specs on the subs I posted, just want to know if they seem worth the money.
Also, Ive never used a cap for my amp as well, should I get one? I notice a bit of corrosion building up on my positive battery terminal, as well as a bit on the ground of my amp.
maguile 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
120 views and only one person replied? Really?
Come on guys, Im asking you basic questions here...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Where in Canada are you? You have a 50w rmx x 4 amplifier according to the model# on that link. It is not even a close match to those subs and I would not recommend it at all. Is FS the only store you have near you? Use that amp to power some front and rear speakers and buy a proper amp to power the subs.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
mono amps are usually best for subs but a 2 channel will do ok too. 4 channel amps are most often used for highs because they dont need much power to get them to sound good.
you need to clean that corrosion off of your battery and amp ground and spray it with some anti corrosion spray or paint that you can probably get at any auto parts store.
rfhvhtoo 
Copper - Posts: 238
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2009 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
I Think a Rockford Fosgate T3002 that cost about 150$ in ebay (Actual power is approximately 800wrms) and 2 12inch P2 that cost about 90$ each and a box built to specs. I think that will be your best bet and less than the cost of the MTX stuff.
I can't hear you!
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2009 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  
soundnsecurity wrote:
4 channel amps are most often used for highs because they dont need much power to get them to sound good.
So young... SO young! Someday you'll hear how important TRULY high power is for highs... which amps and subs? -- posted image. 50 watts or better for a tweeter and 100 watts or better to a mid-range driver is a decent start, IMO. Three to five times the RMS rating of a driver is where I start! 'Course... "overkill is my minimum"! LOL
Words to live by!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
maguile 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
forbidden wrote:
Where in Canada are you? You have a 50w rmx x 4 amplifier according to the model# on that link. It is not even a close match to those subs and I would not recommend it at all. Is FS the only store you have near you? Use that amp to power some front and rear speakers and buy a proper amp to power the subs.
Well theres more stores, but since I blew my old amp and dont have a receipt, theyre giving me an exchange or in-store credit.
How can you tell its 50x rmx x4 on that link? I remember reading about how to do the math on an amps stats to figure out if its good or not, but it was like a different language to me. I just want to know whats good for what, even if its just the basics.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2009 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
I used the schwartz to figure out the power ratings.... that and I happen to be a MTX dealer (but not of the low end stuff that FS sells) and am familiar with that amp. Take the model # of the amp and go to the MTX website, www.mtx.com for the real ratings on that amp. The FS website is notorious for mixing things up. So they either have the wrong model# for the specs listed or the wrong specs for the model listed. If all else fails, you look at the main info provided, that being the model #.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic