icon

problem with eclipse avn52d

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fly4awhtgye2 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

I just installed an Eclipse AVN52D unit in my 2008 Toyota 4Runner SR5 w/o JBL system. With the unit, I also installed the BTE-500 Bluetooth adapter and the IPC-106 Ipod adapter. I tested the unit w/o the adapter hardware plugged in and all functions work fine except the GPS antenna.

I don't get any reading showing GPS on the top left of the unit and my position still shows the Eclipse headquarters in CA.

When I first noticed the problem, the antenna was mounted on the included shield on a little tray in the dash behind the radio in my garage. I moved the antenna and shield to the left corner of the dash and backed up into my driveway and still couldn't get any GPS positioning. Can someone help?

I installed an AVN 2454 in my 2005 Nissan Altima and the GPS reading showed up right away.

I thought maybe the antenna itself is defective since I am positive it is plugged in. I do have most of the antenna wire bundled with zip ties, but didn't think that would make any difference. Is something else wrong?

huntersdad 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
i have an 08 toyota tundra and when i installed my 52d half of my functions didn't work. After I finally got through to tech support they said that unpluging the unit wait about 2 minutes then plug it back in would "FlasH" the system. Well I did and now everything works. i am not sure that is the solution to your problem but its worth a shot.
u ever flew on the ground?
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  

The 52d can take a long time to connect when they are new. You should connect it then go to settings and  recalulate. It will let you move the arrow to your location and pick the direction you are facing. fter this drive the truck for a few miles and it should connect. This always works for me.

Just to be sure, you don't have tint on your windshield, right?

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure that the GPS antenna has a clear view of the sky and you keep the small metal plate underneath it. Don't place the antenna directly beside or under and metal which will block the signal. You may have to drive the vehicle around for a few minutes before the radio shows an accurate location. It is very important that you don't bundle the GPS antenna cable slack together. Put the extra cable in a large loop (about 6 inches in diameter) and secure it inside the dash.
sparky
fly4awhtgye2 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2009 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tips. I actually did what was suggested. I manually moved my position to the correct one and waited, then the GPS antenna seemed to connect itself fine. The GPS wire slack is now bundled behind the dash in a loop. The front glass is tinted 50% down the front but it does not seem to adversely affect reception. Now everything works perfect, even the Bluetooth and Ipod adapters. I'm glad the install is over...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic