icon

big 3 upgrade kits

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Are there any good ones that wont break the bank? I'm looking for some 1/0 wire.
My alternator positive wire runs from my alt, to my starter then to my battery, so I need a fair length of positive wire.
No I won't be just adding wire, I'm going to remove the old wire and replace it all with new wire.
I cant seem to find any decently priced wire anywhere, and there are practically no audio shops in my city.... I don't want to use welding cable.
airhed692005 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2009 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
This is what I would do is got to ebay and buy the wire. You can get 10'-100' 1/0 wires from $20-$100 all different colors. Get the cables and just buy how many connectors you need and solider them on. I get Lots of big wires cheap on there.
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS. CUSTOM BOX DESIGNER AND BUILDER
TID-896 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
4/0power/ground cables
4-12 mofos 12ft3 box tuned 40hz DB:163.1
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
What's shipping cost on something like that? it's no doubt quite heavy.
The biggest problem is conversion to Canadian dollars makes stuff like that more expensive to me, not to mention I pay more fees for duty and tax when his stuff crosses the border, AND if its shipped with UPS, they will also charge you an extra brokerage fee because they paid the taxes for you at the border.
So, a $20 product, costs me about $25CAD, then shipping, lets just say $15 USD/$20CAD (that's $45 already for a $20 product)
Crosses the border, an item like this may not have any fees or taxes, or it may be small, probably $10. UPS brings it to my door, they charge me the $10 they paid at the border, plus about $35 for their brokerage fees.
Roughly $90 CAD for my $20 USD item.
carguy411 
Silver - Posts: 683
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=1_76_28_56
try them. pretty good wire used it before
airhed692005 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
Got to look for the deals most of the seller will have FREE SHIPPING on things like that. just got to look. I bought 4/0 cable 50' for $50 with free shipping on ebay. That is what I have in my mini van running my system. Just check the web for 1/0 you will find deals
Ronald Bailey Owner/ Installer of VIBRATION CUSTUM SOUNDS. CUSTOM BOX DESIGNER AND BUILDER
TID-896 7" screen,Amp-BX1206d
4/0power/ground cables
4-12 mofos 12ft3 box tuned 40hz DB:163.1
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2009 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
ya a lot of guys have free shipping, until you calculate shipping to Canada..... then it isn't so free anymore heh.
I was looking at that stuff from eDesigns, the price difference between red and blue is stupid. I found out previously that its because the red and black is Tsunami wire, and more expensive.
I actually don't like the see through wire, I think it might look better with a solid color.... anyone got any opinions on that? I can't really picture in my head which would look better under my hood.
My alternator will be painted blue and red..... maybe I should keep the wire colors the same. Red for positive, and blue for negative?
3002steve 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2009 at 4:27 AM / IP Logged  

you should be able to find cable at a local audio store or a welding supplys place , welding cable is beefcake and cheap

take it home and cut the lengths you need...remember its thicker and may not bend around corners so well , then get the audio shop to crimp the ends on for a few beers

bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
I love using KnuKoncepts! VERY FLEXIBLE with TINY strands. Excellent for transferring power. KnuKoncepts.com
Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
tcpmeta 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2009 at 6:23 AM / IP Logged  
Welding cable for straight shots and typical audio power cable for tight turns and curves.
Gold plated terminals and connectors are also a key factor because gold is a better conductive metal.
For interior use you can use some soldier with a settling torch and solder the connections. You can use a hammer to crunch down on the connections for the engine bay but be careful bot to over crunch the cable or the strains will break.
For positive leads make sure to heat-shrink or tape up the exposed wire or metal portion of the connector. At the same time you don't want to go too big of a gauge of wire. If it's too long it could weaken the resistance. If it's too small of the gauge the cable can heat up and become a fire hazard.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic