Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dbfordtech 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

My boss recently bought a 2007 BMW X5

She was told at the dealership that a remote starter cannot be installed into this vehicle.

I have been installing remote starters into everything I could get my hands on since I was 16. (Including a few forklifts and a riding lawnmower.)

Now I hear "It cant be done" Bull pucky.

I know  that at least half of you have forgotten more about this topic than I'll even know...That's why I'm asking for guidance.  I say it can be done, and I just need your help.

Thanx,

Dbfordtech.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
Assuming the plastic slot key, DEI have just brought out a rem start data adaptor for 3 series, this acts as both  a CAN (vehicle functions lock unlock etc) interface and transponder immobiliser by-pass interface in one box which then links via data to DEI product, Clifford, Viper Hornet etc or wired to another brand. It's specifically for auto transmissions, but don't forget the X5 is a 5 series in another body and the basic vehicle functions are the same. The point is you will need a CAN system interface, it CAN'T be done with hard wiring. I believe Fortin might have something similar.
Dbfordtech 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Meant "ever know" not "even know"... sorry.

Wish I could edit!!!

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
That part is called K1BMW and wait for it, the suggested price is $349!!!  2007 bmw x5 - Last Post -- posted image.   But it may be the only way to do it.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=howie ll] ...DEI have just brought out a rem start data adaptor for 3 series...QUOTE]
Since when has DEI actually come out with anything? lol. I assume this is just another rebadged Fortin piece, right? Although I haven't looked at the DEI one myself.
www.ifar.ca should at least show a product available for the 2008 3-Series. Not sure if the same thing works on the X5 or not. INT-BMW-1 I think it is.
So yeah, like the other poster said, it's a $349 (retail) part, plus the customer has to give up a key, plus the cost of the remote starter itself. (It has to be a remote starter with an RS232 data port, like a Compustar.)
I did look into the wholesale cost of that part once, and while I don't think I should repeat the cost on a public forum, I can say that there's not a whole lot of markup in that $349 list price.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
Chris I agree with everything you said against which you couldn't hard wire the mustard anyway so what are the options. I only have access to DEI product in the UK, the least of my problems being the nasty 2 way remotes.PS The last time CLIFFORD invented anything was when they were an independant company and brought us G4 product, I still think the AG4 was a standout for build quality functions etc.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I also believe, and I'm trying to make head or tail of their data sheet at the bottom of the directechs site that you wil also need a PKALL to control the factory transponder, you will also lose a valet key.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic