icon

building an amp rack, where to start?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
theforgottensol 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2009 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
just make sure that you have good clearance - so it can be accecessable ( spelling?) incease you need to "retune" the amp for some reason.
bigjohnny 
Copper - Posts: 293
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2009 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
Well, after some extensive work yesterday, I might be able to make a rack to mount them to the sidewalls and still retain some trunk space, with space under the amps for either some small tools, maybe a QT of oil, and a second battery if need be.
I had to remove and relocate my keyless entry module. I still have to finish it next weekend as I've got a couple of wires I still need to untangle.
Then I can build a little rack from some angle iron and mount my amps.
BIGGEST CONCERN HERE: How the hell do I mount the rack to my trunk? I don't think welding would be a good idea as it would be mounted directly to the side of the trunk, which would burn my paintjob on the outside if I weld the rack in place.
Here is the right sidewall where I'll make one rack. Any ideas for designs?
and the one below is the keyless entry module moved under my drivers side rear seat..... what a mess, I still need to clean this up.... A LOT.
building an amp rack, where to start? - Page 2 -- posted image.
building an amp rack, where to start? - Page 2 -- posted image.
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
so I'm still trying to figure out how to approach this whole thing.
What should I do here?
johngutillo 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
build the board behind the back seat in front of your sub box this is very simple i belive someone recomonded this to you earlier and its standard procedure at alot of shops. just drill 2 or 3 holes near the top of the board and bolt to the frame of your car their should already be holes and a peice of frame that extend's downward ,,,, I WOULD NOT mount your amps to the trunk lid its gonna virbate alot you dont want your amps on anything that vibrates. do not mount it to the box either
vibrationcustum 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2009 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
what is the car and amps you are trying to install?
This is what I would recommend to you.
1>Put the amp in the back dash and get the windows tinted so the sun does not heat the amp up as much when the car is parked. (That is only if you have room to do it).
2> Glass an amp rack into the side at about a 80 degree angle so the amp does not so hot and if you want put chambers under it and put a fan on both sides to cool the amp. If you need some help designing something just hit me up.
Can't be loud then don't have it.
(power acoustik system)
Head unit- TID-896 7" TOUCHSCREEN
ovn1-5500d 09 and another one coming soon
4-12" mofos 12ft3 box to 40hz (wall)
2 batterys, 1 power
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  
John: Behind my seat isn't going to work, I pointed that out when someone mentioned it. I'll be mounting 3 amps. and the space behind my subs is only like 6" x 40" x 14"
vibrationcustom: I think thats what I want to end up doing. Putting an amp rack on either side, just behind the wheel wells. Basically the problem is how do I secure it to the car? how do I make a frame to mount the actual amp to?
vibrationcustum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
all amps have holes to screw the amp down. What I did to hold mine down is buy the T15 screws, made a amp rack and screwed the amp and the amp rack to the body of the car. I got a lot of vibration going through my van and it is prefect. My db is 163.1 with 4 subs so the screws are the best. I even build my boxes out of them. Hold a lot more the normal screw. Like I said before if you need me to design something I can see what I can do for you. Just let me know
(power acoustik system)
2 batterys, 1 power
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
vibrationcustum wrote:
all amps have holes to screw the amp down. What I did to hold mine down is buy the T15 screws, made a amp rack and screwed the amp and the amp rack to the body of the car. I got a lot of vibration going through my van and it is prefect. My db is 163.1 with 4 subs so the screws are the best. I even build my boxes out of them. Hold a lot more the normal screw. Like I said before if you need me to design something I can see what I can do for you. Just let me know
my problem is the actual frame to hold the amp/fiberglass.
1.) I'm not totally sure how to measure some of the odd angles/curves in the rear fender, so getting something the right size/length is a little difficult.
2.) what to make the actual frame out of?
3.) biggest one, how to mount the frame to the body of the car. I don't think there is any space between the outside of the rear quarter panel, and the inside. I think it's just one single sheet of metal. Putting screws in it or welding it would affect the outside of the car.
the bottom of the trunk isn't accessible much from the bottom of the car, and there is a big hollow space between the two, so I couldn't use bolts/nuts, and I don't want to just run screws directly into the car.
what could you design for this application? what's the cost? and would there still be room in my trunk for groceries and stuff?
vibrationcustum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2009 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
ok answers to the questions.
1.What i use is cardboard and masking tape to make a temp of what the angles are going to be.
2.The amp rack would be made out of mdf and fiberglass.
3.While if you don't want to use screws to hold it in place you can do something like glass it to the metal or us 3m Velcro strips that hold it down (this is a great idea if you need to get to the fuel shut off or replace a light in the back).
3 big questions
1.Year, make, model of car
2.Model of amps and how many
3.Where would you like the amps to be and not to be.
after these questions are answer we just nee to get some L x W x H of the trunk.
I believe I can design something for you to make from a 3d model. If you would like me to make it for you (which is hard with fiberglass with out the car)can be done. It would range from $100 to $250 shipped to you. The price is a good range if I have to build 1 or 2 racks.
YES YOU WILL HAVE TRUNK ROOM FOR THEM IMPORTANT THINGS
Hope I answered all of your question and if you have more feel free to ask me
(power acoustik system)
2 batterys, 1 power
bigjohnny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2009 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
vibrationcustum wrote:
ok answers to the questions.
1.What i use is cardboard and masking tape to make a temp of what the angles are going to be.
2.The amp rack would be made out of mdf and fiberglass.
3.While if you don't want to use screws to hold it in place you can do something like glass it to the metal or us 3m Velcro strips that hold it down (this is a great idea if you need to get to the fuel shut off or replace a light in the back).
3 big questions
1.Year, make, model of car
2.Model of amps and how many
3.Where would you like the amps to be and not to be.
after these questions are answer we just nee to get some L x W x H of the trunk.
I believe I can design something for you to make from a 3d model. If you would like me to make it for you (which is hard with fiberglass with out the car)can be done. It would range from $100 to $250 shipped to you. The price is a good range if I have to build 1 or 2 racks.
YES YOU WILL HAVE TRUNK ROOM FOR THEM IMPORTANT THINGS
Hope I answered all of your question and if you have more feel free to ask me
I can build it, thats not a problem it's just addressing those issues. The fuel shutoff switch can be moved. I already spent a good couple of days moving the keyless entry module.... a lot of wires to cut move and re-solder ;) now that it's clean the shutoff switch can be moved without issue.
I'm moving the stuff out of the trunk cause I'm considering having it sprayed with rhino liner. Then there can be nuts put right into the liner that I can bolt the rack to.
To answer your questions.
1.) 1996 Mercury Cougar XR-7.
2.) 2x Insignia NS-P2000 amps (came in a kit, 2 subs plus 1 amp, I got a second amp)
3.) I want the amps mounted on a rack to my inside rear quarter panels/fenders..... just behind the wheel wells.
There is just enough room to fit the amps there length wise, but they need to be angled cause the right side fender has the gas ...... thingy and makes that fender a little longer. so the side closest to the fender is about 12" tall, and the other side is about 6" I think.
kinda like this terrible diagram, but imagine the \ not being on such an angle.... I don't even know if that makes sense.
|\
| |
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic