icon

surge protection for backup camera

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bigbeast 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2009 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
I gots a Soundstream DVD HU, with the capability for a backup camera, i got a camer now, and the supplier said something about the vehicle may spike voltage over 10% (what the camera can handle) at start, and should get pro install, so is there some type of little circuit i need to build as a surge protector, or what do I need to do here??
Brain
westom 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

bigbeast wrote:
... the supplier said something about the vehicle may spike voltage over 10% (what the camera can handle) at start, and should get pro install, ...

The problem is called 'load dump'.  International and SAE standards define this as a spike of maybe up to 270 volts on the 12 volts system.  But 60 volts is more typical of what 12 devices are designed to withstand. 

Load dump protection typically comes with a supply for that electronic device.  Protection from load dump is typically part of the circuits that create a stable required voltage from the wildly fluctuating 12 volts.  But that supply must state load dump protection either explicitly or in numbers that state an input voltage of at least 60 volts.

bigbeast 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm,nope, the place i got it from says explicitly to have a pro install it because it can not withstand this spike, or load dump.
After I posted this post, i got a response from them saying just to hook it to the backup light, which i did, and also am going to put a switch up front so i can just flip it on if i want to. everything is in place, and i am working on the wiring slowly, using diodes between the 2 possible switches, and finishing up the audio side as well, I have to send back a defective alarm, so it will be 10-14 days before i put everything inside and have final results of my project.
Brain
westom 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Hooking it up to a backup light does nothing to eliminate load dump damage. Using a switch also does almost nothing.

If its power supply does not state protection from load dump (as defined previously), then you have a serious problem create by the manufacturer who should have including protection in his power supply.  Doing it right inside the supply costs so little. Installing load dump protection for that inferior power supply is expensive. That protection even defined in both SAE J1455 and  ISO 7637-1 standards.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic