icon

viper 5901 sounding horn while driving

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1badtundra 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
I installed a Viper 5901 on a 08 Toyota tundra with remote start and everything has been working great. all of a sudden my truck horn is honking for no apparent reason. Yesterday while I was driving home I noticed If i put my window down it would honk and if i pressed the window button again it would stop.   
I have 2 DEI 530T's on all four windows as well.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

First, do you remember connecting anything to the horn wire?

Horn wire at the steering column is an orange (negative trigger) but so is the negative parking light wire. Maybe you confused the two?

I can't see the relation between the 530T and the horn.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
1badtundra 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
Big Dog wrote:

First, do you remember connecting anything to the horn wire?

Horn wire at the steering column is an orange (negative trigger) but so is the negative parking light wire. Maybe you confused the two?

I can't see the relation between the 530T and the horn.

Yes I remember connecting the horn wire which is BROWN / black on harness H2/8 going to the steering wheel violet wire.
I don't understand it myself why the 530t would have anything to do with the horn honking sporadically.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect the horn wire. You don't need it.
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
My best guess would be that the Viper could have a poor ground.
Most of the time, it manages to pull a ground through one of the wires of the other attached accessories (such as your window module).
Then, when you operate the window, the various wires on the window module (which were resting at ground just a moment ago) drop their ground, and then therefore the alarm shuts off momentarily.
1badtundra 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Big Dog wrote:
Disconnect the horn wire. You don't need it.
Ahh ok I will disconnect it then....   Thanks again.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
2 things come to mind; a short to ground on the brownblack wire, possibly a spike of wire poking through also could the closer trigger wire be shorting to that same wire?  Check your connections.
1badtundra 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
My best guess would be that the Viper could have a poor ground.
Most of the time, it manages to pull a ground through one of the wires of the other attached accessories (such as your window module).
Then, when you operate the window, the various wires on the window module (which were resting at ground just a moment ago) drop their ground, and then therefore the alarm shuts off momentarily.
Ohhh I think you are correct then. I used one frame point to mount all the grounds too and forgot to use a nut behind the bolt and the grounds are all loose. Crap I just remembered that.   
Damn you guys are pretty sharp in here..lol
1badtundra 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
2 things come to mind; a short to ground on the brownblack wire, possibly a spike of wire poking through also could the closer trigger wire be shorting to that same wire?  Check your connections.
Thanks you I will double check all my wiring and track down the issue. I do have all the grounds loose and will fix it ASAP.   I want to thank you all for taking time out for your suggestions.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't see Chris' post on this but I think he hit the nail on the head. I know I've said this before and it's old news to people like Chris and Big Dog but the ground is as important as the power wires. R/S and amplifiers shove a lot of juice back through to ground,  it's  VERY important to use an existing factory ground or nut or bolt or threaded hole AND if neccessary scrape to bare metal.  I can't over estimate the importance of this. I once had to look at a C Class Benz where the alarm was blamed for a non starting car,  a quick look told me the dome light or normal lights weren't working, I went back to the battery where some body damage had been repaired, replaced the rusty M8 grounding bolt and scraped away the overspray, voila instant O.K.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic