the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

door panel glassing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ca$ino 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
Hey fellas!
Got a question for the fiberglass gurus..
I'm lookin to glass my door panels of my 87 Ranger, the doors are nothin but a cardboard backin, and leather... i'm lookin to mount a 6x9 and 4" square into door... i've got 2 questions.
How do you suggest i flush (i'm lookin to flush the speakers in with minimal extrusion into cab, don't want it to look "pod-ish") the speakers in the door panel?
door panel glassing -- posted image.
the Speakers.. 4" Pioneer , 800watt Volfenhag 6x9
door panel
door itself
I've got an idea myself, but lookin to see what you guys think.
Look twice, think thrice, 1 splice/ 1 slice!
This is a phrase i came up with and something i will now live by.
ca$ino 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:12 PM / IP Logged  
What i'm thinkin about doin is actually makin a small box for each speaker and mount into door panel itself..in the 2 already made recesses,
like so... what you think about that? the recess are pretty deep, deep enough to house both units.. i've just gotta worry dampenin the door now, so all the music doesn't go spilling out into the street.
ca$ino 
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
My biggest issue though is not the glassin or the boxes, BUT hell the F*CK will i get the panel mounted back on once completed?
back of panel
these lil bitch ass pop-locks are what's holdin it together now... at least was, they're brittle and most broke off...
i def need some help with the remounting guys! door panel glassing -- posted image.
ca$ino 
Posted: March 25, 2009 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
dang..34 views and no replies?
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
if your only concern is the panel clips, just get new ones. any good NAPA/CARQUEST has, or can get them or at any upholstery shop. another option is to remove the upholstery from the door then put the door back on with some of the plastic clips so it is positioned correctly, then drill through the panel and metal on the door with a 1/4' drill bit (or bigger if you want) around the edges every 10" or 12". then remove the panel, ditch the clips and put bolts through the holes and glass them in on the front side and back side of the panel. then put the upholstery back on the panel. now you can put the panel back on the door, you have to be able to reach inside the door from a hole on the outside to do this whole procedure though, now you just reach inside all around the door and just put wing nuts on the bolts. now the panel is bolted to to door. kind of a pain to do and a pain if the panel ever has to come off, but ive done it several times on those "flat cardboard" types of doors and it works fine.
ca$ino 
Posted: March 27, 2009 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
hmm.. okay now that's a thought.... will have to see if i can manage that..
Thanks!
deeg money 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2009 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Where are the updates? Im about to start glassing my 83 sqaure body chevy. If you need any help just ask and maybe we can exchange Ideas and experience with door glassing! thanks
Deeg money
"If you cant be good, be good at it"
ca$ino 
Posted: December 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Deeg, just got my truck back, after a LOOONG hiatus.. lol, so i'll be back on the grind to fix it shortly. I'm actually looking at it right now, about to sand down and repaint the trim panels. This project should be interesting, because i'll be modding AND driving it at the same time... so... wish me luck.
unique316 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2010 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, new to the forum. I was reading and saw this is a bit old, don't know if you are still working on this one or not. But number one I would replace that panel board irregardless of what tactics you take in sight of this you can simply get those from any upholstery shop and you simply trace it out from the old one but for your application you will need wood.
I highly doubt you are going to get it to work without serious support between the box and the door panel.
But you could simply save a lot of time and aggravation by building a kick panel that will house the speakers.
YES....OR....NO..?
Unique
Wichita, KS
deeg money 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2010 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
are you still working on the project?? I am about to start working on mine again. If you got any pics post them up!
Deeg money
"If you cant be good, be good at it"
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic