icon

what's wrong with my radio, 05 sunfire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wilsonan 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
hey there i am installing a afermarket CD player into my 2005 Pontiac Sunfire 4 door. thisis my first time doin this so srry if im a noob lol. i started off with disconnecting the power the the car by pullin the fuses in the engine block and i cut the wires goin to the stock radio. i striped the wires made the nessesary connections when i was done i had two wires left a black one (which isnt the grounding wire, there r two black wires) and a purple wire. now when i go and turn the key the deck dosent turn on. i checked the voltage with a volt meter its reading 12.3V and im reading it all the way up to the plastic connector tht goes into the back of the deck. first i thought it maybe the deck so i took it back got a new one still the same problem. i dont kno wut it is people say its the grounding, or try a new wire harness. plz help me :)
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
You cannot just cut into the harness and make it work in this car. You need to have the factory harness repaired that you just cut up and then buy the PROPER GM databus harness to make it work.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
wilsonan 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
thank u very much ikno im bad at this but thanks
loosingmymind 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

In vehicles with class 2 data bus; you really should use an aftermarket harness. There is no switched ignition wire in that plug. I would reconect those wires and go buy the proper plug.  I know that they are a little pricy; but you could do SERIOUS damage to the cars electrical system. Not to mention your cars computer.

I would go back to the proper part installation before it's too late.

David.

David Fancher
USACi World Finals 2006
4th Place SQ PRO 601+
lil evo 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 26, 2009 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  

There are 2 kinds of harness that you can buy for your car. There is the genaric harness (my shop uses a Metra 99-2003) that will work, and retail is right around $22. You'll need to run a new switched accessory wire to your ignition harness, and you're going to lose a numer of features. You're RAP feature, door chimes, warning bells (keys in ignition, lights left on, etc), change oil light, and you'll also generally throw a code on an OBD-II scanner. You're second option is to go with a harness designed for a class 2 data system (my shop uses the Scosche GMLAN2SR harness). Theses retail around $110, yes you can find them cheaper at places like wal-mart, but keep in mind that you get what you pay for. This will get you a switched accessory without running a new line to the ignition, allow you to keep all your chimes, RAP, warnign bells, etc.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic