icon

which switch do i use for my strobe's?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kris05vvti 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2009 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
As the title states, i need to know what kind of switch i need. This will be my first time installing strobes after i got out of school for mobile electronics.
I was thinking of a simple on/off switch like this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productid=2062494 but how should i connect it and is that a proper switch to use...also where will the fuse be placed. If it's necessary to know i have a 1990 Honda Accord Coupe CB7
I've got this diagram so far, and any further help will be very much appreciated:
which switch do i use for my strobe's? -- posted image.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Virtually any kind of latching switch will work (momentary ones will not be desired).

The switch just needs to be wired inline with either the power or the ground.  Typically, in cars, the switch is in the ground but it really doesn't matter.

A fuse is imperative and should be as close to the power source as possible. 

Kevin Pierson
kris05vvti 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
okay so the wire that comes out the transformer that is 12volt, i should place the fuse in line with that wire...plug it into the back of the switch where it says on. Ground both switch and transformer seperately. And the acc terminal get 12v fused!?
kris05vvti 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

Virtually any kind of latching switch will work (momentary ones will not be desired).

does that mean that this one in specific is no good? sorry i can be slow at times
KPierson 
Posted: March 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

The switch you linked to is a latching switch because once you put it in position it stays in that position until you change it.  A "momentary" switch only stays closed for as long as you hold the button down.

The 12v pin on the switch is to be connected to 12vdc.  The "ACC" is your device.  So, find your 12vdc source in the car, connect a fuse holder to that wire in the car, and then connect the 12vdc pin of the switch to the fuse holder.  Then, connect the ACC pin of the switch to the 12vdc wire on the transformer.  Connect the ground side of the transformer to ground (you can connect the switch to the same point or a different point, it won't matter).

The most important part is to make sure the fuse is correctly sized and placed - if you mess up the fusing there is a chance your car will catch on fire if something shorts out.

Kevin Pierson
kris05vvti 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

The switch you linked to is a latching switch because once you put it in position it stays in that position until you change it.  A "momentary" switch only stays closed for as long as you hold the button down.

The 12v pin on the switch is to be connected to 12vdc.  The "ACC" is your device.  So, find your 12vdc source in the car, connect a fuse holder to that wire in the car, and then connect the 12vdc pin of the switch to the fuse holder.  Then, connect the ACC pin of the switch to the 12vdc wire on the transformer.  Connect the ground side of the transformer to ground (you can connect the switch to the same point or a different point, it won't matter).

The most important part is to make sure the fuse is correctly sized and placed - if you mess up the fusing there is a chance your car will catch on fire if something shorts out.

oOo okay now i got it =) thanx dude.
and about the catching on fire thing, you got me scared lol imma try and find out the size of the fuse so i wont which switch do i use for my strobe's? -- posted image.
kris05vvti 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
daaaam yo now i got problems.....
i went to a shop to see how much they sell me an alarm/remote start, long story short we ended up talking about strobes. He gave me a switch and told me to do it like so:
but how the hell am i supposed to get 12v if there is no imput!? im confused
KPierson 
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

You realize you need to hook the "off" terminal to 12vdc right?

The picture you posted won't work because there is no voltage veed in the circuit.  You need to connect the switch to the + side of the battery in some manner (not necesarrily at the battery, but somewhere).

Kevin Pierson
kris05vvti 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
so this will do fine!?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,603
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
yes that will do, but damn 30 amps for strobes, that's too much bro, use like ten amps, heck i would have used five.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic