how do rear defrost buttons work?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sofakingslow 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
i am an idiot wrote:
Obviously he is not scared of relays.  So even if it is a momentary switch,  the simple latching relay is all he would need for Ignition and possibly for accessory.  Other than the 4 relay latching relay possibilities, I really have no idea what he should run from.
I have done this before, only using rocker switches and a generic push-button start. All mounted on a piece of sheet metal resting on the exhaust hump. Worked great, up until the positive terminal made contact with the floorboard...
The only thing that really concerns me is this not working the first time I try it. Which brings to mind: As a new Mac convert, what program can i use to draw a schematic? I need someone to go over my wiring and connections before I actually begin this project.
I take it wireless applications are Kevin P's specialty?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,673
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  
If you are using a Mac, I have no idea what you can draw with. Maybe a pencil and paper and a digital camera.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  
OK so I over reacted, the defrost switch itself can be momentary or latching depending on testing, the same aplies to the rear wash/wipe switch mentioned,  what vehicle are we talking about here?  My Crystal Ball says Civic/Golf
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
Vehicle is '89 Honda Civic Hatchback. No rear wiper.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  

" plan to use the Defrost button for the first (ACC) position, the cruise control "set" button and this relay setup for the second (IGN) position, and a Honda S2000 starter button in the original cylinder location for the third (START) position"

he is tapping into other electrical parts of the car to create a start sequence. if it was just switches then thats no biggie, but using cruise control to allow ignition power? if something happened to the ignition on the highway, then your in trouble. relays dont often fail, but if they did for somereason then problems arise.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 6:54 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry I just guessed at Civic but then I've done this whole post not reading it properly, what do you expect I'm going Cold Turkey on Cigs after 45 yrs!how do rear defrost buttons work? - Page 2 -- posted image.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 7:01 AM / IP Logged  

ahah hey howie, should lay off the smokes.

correct me if im wrong. civics has a button to enable cruise control. That turns on the CC system, but the set button does not actually have continuity to the CC computer until its around 45km/h (about 25m/h) so if the car is sitting still, there is no voltage running through the SET button. so how do you plan on powering ignition. are you planning on just running a power wire through the set switch to a relay?

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

I am sure he plans on using only the switch and not the cruise control brain.

Hey Howie, I have faith in you and know you can do it.  Don't let me down.

sofakingslow 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
Tedmond - Exactly. The power steering controls are actually integrated into the steering wheel of the 89 Integra, which I have already put in my car.
Howie - I need to quit, too. Costs too much, in terms of money and quality of life. Funds could be better spent elsewhere. More money for toys!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic