icon

viper 5701 rs in a supra not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
suprarx7nut 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all, I have read through all the 5701 threads I could find and none detailed an issue quite like mine. Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. :)
I installed the system in my 1990 Toyota Supra and all works well except the remote start. It normally works just fine, but every now and then (maybe very 5th time) the manual tranny mode acts funny.
Here is exactly what happens:
I hit the foot brake
Pull ebrake
release foot brake
press remote start on the remote
car flashes lights, remote plays ascending tones, all is well
get out and close door
ARM CAR ----car chirps once as the car shuts off, but does NOT arm the factory alarm and the car turns right back on 2-3 seconds later. I can turn it off with the remote by pressing the remote start, but it will turn on yet again.
The second time it tries to start the starter engages for waaaaaayyy to long. About 2 full seconds.
The strange part is that this does not happen normally, but it has happened at least 5 times since I installed it last week.
Settings:
Manual tranny turned on,
Tach reading set to Tach
All other remote start options are factory settings
Now another bad thing that happened today:
I parked it without doing the manual tranny mode shutdown.
When I went to unlock the car it tried to START!!! I left it first gear with the ebrake on. It didn't really go anywhere, but it kept trying to start and lurching forward.
It acts perfectly normal and everything functions most the time, but these strange issues are making me think the unit might be bad or something. Could this be due to a faulty wiring connection in the car?
Thanks for reading and I would greatly appreciate any input from those more knowledgeable than myself. :)
1990 Toyota Supra Targa
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  
Methinks you will have to check all your connections, your voltages across power and ground, your door connections and reprogramme the tach. Make doubly sure the ground connections are good. I think it has lost it's settings and has reverted to auto mode.
suprarx7nut 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2009 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Default is manual mode, though.
Agreed I should check connections, but I just don't get what would make the unit try to restart itself...
1990 Toyota Supra Targa
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
That's happened to me with a Clifford with Intellistart,  it appears that certain times when I press the silent disarm, it engages the R/Sviper 5701 rs in a supra not working - Last Post -- posted image. ? I stil think every thing should be tested and re-programmed
suprarx7nut 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2009 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
So today, while trying to recreate my RS problems, I lost my remote functionality on both remotes completely. I successfully remote started it, got in and took over control, let it idle for about 1 minute and tried to put it into Manual tranny Mode again, but the remote gave me the "out of range" notification. (Transmit light blinks while F button is on and error tone sounds)
And now the car will not respond to any remote action. Cabin Temp doesn't work, unlock, lock... nothing.
I went to program in the remotes but it just sounds a second long wail, notifying me that the programming has been locked!! In the manual it states it must be unlocked by a bitwriter.
I called car toys and they said it would 75 to reprogram it!
How would I get locked out of programming? The unit has never seen a bitwriter and was working perfectly minutes before all went haywire.
Any ideas? Am I missing something? I can make the status LED turn on and off by turning the key on, then off and holding the valet switch, but either on or off I can't get it to program or respond at all. :(
Thanks for any help!
1990 Toyota Supra Targa
suprarx7nut 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2009 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  
Took the car to a quality Auto Sound and one of the techs was nice enough to unlock the programming with a bitwriter. It works now, but I'm going to wire in protective diodes to all the relays and rewire the power and ground signals to the brain just to be sure.
I'll update my progress...
1990 Toyota Supra Targa
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2009 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Notice the post here on the Viper 5901?   "Issues"  with  DEI remotes seem to be cropping up a hell of a lot lately, as one post so succinctly puts it, welcome to the DEI consumer testing station.
suprarx7nut 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 2:05 AM / IP Logged  
System seems to work fine, though I've just turned off the remote start for now.
The remote sometimes does not play any tones which is annoying. It comes and goes and the range seems to be perfect so I don't think it's low batteries.
I turned on the keypad lock which is very nice to have. No more accidental locks or unlocks. :)
1990 Toyota Supra Targa
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2009 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  

i installed that 5701 a couple of times, and that thing seems to cause nothing but trouble, i dunno if it's the alarm itself or the remotes,  but i heard dei recalled them, to sort out the issues with the system, i dunno if the rebadged one is out yet, i haven't done any lately. 

the system is very nice when you read through the manual, but personally, i think the average customer will go through the average lifespan of this unit and not use half of the stuff this system has to offer, operation with that shift function button is kindda iffy, it tends to confuse customers alot, i think that the system isn't really practical in some ways to the average user, and that really isn't having the customer in mind now is it directed.

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
proximity 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
I'd switch it to auto mode (temporarily) and see if the same still happens.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic