inline volt meter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bemendozer 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2009 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Everyone.

Ok I have an inline volt meter that simply tells me the voltage going to the amps, I dont need it but want it for show. Heres the thing cos its inline from the poss its on all the time. Even though its an L.E.D display and not using much off the battery I'd rather it was on unless the amps are on, is there anyway I can wire it so this happens? I was thinking of putting it on the neg after the amp and before the body so when the amp turns on the volts pass through on the way out, is this an option?

Any help and adive is welcome. Like I said I dont need it but would like it for show.

Cheers All.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2009 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

Why don't you just hook the voltage meter up to the ignition system?  That way, when the car is on it will be on.  The voltage difference between the ignition wire and the amp wire will be virtually non existant.

The other alternative would be to use a relay that is connected like this:

Pin 85 - ground

Pin 86 - switched 12vdc
Pin 30 - output to voltage meter
Pin 87 - Amp power wire

With this setup the voltage meter will only get power through the relay when the ignition is on - there will be no drain on the battery at all when the ignition is off.

Kevin Pierson
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2009 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure it's a VOLT meter? The way you are describing it, it sounds ike a current meter...
Volt meters are paralleled with the load, and current meters are in series with the load.
When you turn your ignition off, does the reading go to zero, or does it remain on, reading somewhere in the 12-14 volt range?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bemendozer 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2009 at 3:34 PM / IP Logged  
no the meter still reads 12v when the ignition is off and it goes upto 14v when the car is running.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic